You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Benadryl Cream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:32 pm 

Have any of you used this on hives? Did it do the trick? Any better or worse than calamine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 pm 

We use this cream on mosquito bites. I've never thought of using it on hives, and I would be inclined to go straight to the liquid benadryl to ensure all hives are treated. But that's just my opinion. What do others think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:26 pm 

Yes, I use that cream also. Hives is it a large area? It would depend on large the area is .
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:57 pm 

I use the cream on hives when I can't really take Benadryl (i.e. at work or when I need to take the car... liquid Benadryl just knocks me out...). If find it does the job.

Mylène

Post subject: benadryll cream
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:07 pm 

It says on the packaging not to take with other similar drugs ( oral benadryll etc. ). I tried it too, but decided not to use it.

If you put the cream on hives and found that you still needed the oral benadryll you would be overdosing if you used both. Maybe better just to use the oral.

Also, if you use it for bites, you could over dose if you need oral benadryll for another reaction while the drug from the cream is in your system.

I prefer to take the oral and wash the area with the hives thouroughly to remove the allergen from the skin.

Mylene, could you use a non drowsy antihistamine such as reactine? Sorry for spelling. I can't find the funky e thing on my keyboard. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:59 pm 

(Don't worry about the accent... as long as all the letter are in my name, that's all I expect ;) )

You talk about overdosing and I would add to talk to your allergist or doctor about this... overdosing is not as easy as it looks. If you are having a reaction, your system will be able to take much more then the "recommended dose"!

I could take Reactines, but they are no longer effective on me... I took them 365 days a year for about 10 years and at one point they just stopped working... and because I am on a basic anti-histamine regime all the time, the drowsiness can appear even on the non-drowsy versions as any other dose I take doubles the dose I already have in my system.

Post subject: over dosing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:55 pm 

In my case, it is my 2 and 4 year olds with the allergies. They are so small that using both the cream and oral would scare me. In an adult, this might not be as much of a concern. I would be concerned that an overdose might cause them to be really drowsy and add to the problems occuring during an allergic reaction.

Definitely something to discuss with my allergy doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 am 

If you are allergic to sulfites, have chemical sensitivites and things of that nature.. read the labels on these products. Be sure to check the non-active ingredients in them. These products can contain Sodium Laurel Sulfate. If you are allergic or sensitive to sulfites and various other chemicals, you may have a reaction to this ON TOP of your already allergic reaction!

I had allergy testing on my arm using pin pricks and used Hydrocortisone cream on them after. I couldn't understand why I was having an allergy and asthma flare up over the next four days until I read the label for myself. I thought it would be a safe thing to use.. wrong! Not for me it isn't. And the Benedryl I was taking daily was contributing to my allergies as well. I no longer take it and feel MUCH BETTER.

Remember to read the labels and include the NON-ACTIVE ingredients as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:49 am 

I LOVE BENADRYL CREAM!!!!
I would be a very miserable human being without it! I've used it on mosquito bites - works like a sharm. And it works really well on hives too! I've used it after skin tests and after allergy shots (when I react). Last summer I used it on a wasp bite and it REALLY helped!
As for the warning about not mixing it with oral Benadryl . . OOPS! I've done that a few times! But yes, I think it would be more of a concern for children, not adults. I mean, the cream is only going to treat that small area, and if you're having a systemic reaction, that's not gonna help you much! You still need to treat the runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing etc.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I've never tried the cream, but you make me curious about it. Think I'd worry about whether it was actually reducing a low-grade reaction - e.g. just hives.

Don't you need the antihistamine properties to "turn off" the inflammation? Maybe I should write a letter myself to Ask the Allergists. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:31 pm 

Karen had mentioned on another thread that the amount of antihistamines a person can take without being concerned with overdose is much higher than a recommended dose. So...I felt comfortable using the cream, and having to use benadrylll liquid in the event of a reaction not severe enough to use the epi (which has never happened to us). We usually use reactine on my daughters anyways, which is a different drug than benadryll. My pharmacist said that it posed no risk to combine reactine and benadryll cream. My pharmacist also said that a child on reactine for seasonal allergies can safely take a dose of benadryll liquid if needed for their food allergies.

When we use the cream, we use little, and apply it to my youngest daughters skin when she is scratching from eczema / itching that will flare into eczema if we let her scratch it. It's nice that it provides direct relief to itching. Taking an oral antihistamine does not provide the instant / direct relief, and a small amount of cream on one itchy spot is far less medication than a full body does of reactine. It really helps prevent her scratching an itch into an eczema patch that takes a long time to heal. WE LOVE IT TOO!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.