You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chlorine bath balls?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 pm 

For the last few weeks DS has been getting itchy rashes everytime he bathes, especially his butt and face. I have changed the soaps and cleansers and he's still getting the rashes, so I am thinking that maybe it is maybe the chlorine in the water? He is eczema prone and has sensitve skin. We have a fairly new water treatment plant in town so DH is wondering if maybe they are still playing around with the chlorine levels. So now I am on a quest to find the safest way to remove the chlorine from the water. I have seen these balls on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Rainshowr-Crystal ... pd_sim_k_1 but I'm wondering if there are local stores that sell these balls. I have no idea where to start looking, Home Depot, Wal-Mart? Or is there an online store I can order from that has cheap shipping? Or does anyone know of another way to remove chlorine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 am 

Hi Diana,
I've never heard of chlorine bath balls but what we did was get a shower water filter. We picked ours up at Canadian Tire but I'm sure you can get them at Home Depot and elsewhere too -- there is probably many makes and models. I've even seen them at health food stores. Basically there is a filter attachment that screws into the main attachment and it fits between your shower head and the water pipe. It's basically a charcoal filter (kind of like a Brita). The attachment cost us around $30 and the replacement filters cost us around $20 (type in "Rainfresh shower filter" on the Canadian Tire website) -- they last approx. 3 months depending on how frequently you shower, amount of chlorine being filtered, etc. We have a detachable shower head and we fill up my son's baths using the shower head or he showers. It really does make a difference. I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:37 pm 

Thanks ethansmom. I have seen those also and plan on buying one for the shower for the occasional time DS is in the shower with DH. I think something like that would be good for the entire family. The problem I have is that our bathtub is separate from our shower and can only be filled with the tub spout.