You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: My Idea of Heaven
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:20 pm 

Besides my allergies I also to have to be very careful of what I eat for other health reasons. I cannot ever sit down and pig out on a bag of chips or whatever. Although this turns out to be a good thing I guess, as I will reduce my chance of heart disease! (As someone else said on this forum, I try to make lemonade from those lemons!)

So sometimes when I start to feel sorry for myself, I imagine how I will be able to eat whatever I want in heaven. Wouldn't it be amazing to eat something without reading a label or thinking so hard about ingredients etc? Now please let it be true that angels actually eat! The one on the Philadelphia cream cheese ads does ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:45 pm 

I'm with you there! I do wish that I could eat anything I wanted but if I could I know I would probably have never started on my health food kick.

As it is, I'm trying to turn necessity into a virtue. I simply can't eat very many preprepared foods which is a pain, but whole grains and fresh fruit and vegetables are better for us anyways. I've been trying to buy either organic or local or organic and local.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: health kick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 pm 

I'm on a health kick too. Since Tuesday ( the day of the latest trip to the hospital ) my daughter is also allergic to chicken and probably beef too.

Forbidden foods include:
MIlk beef (I hate cows )
Eggs milk ( I hate chickens )
Peanuts
Nuts
Fish

We are pretty much left with soy, pork, fruits and veggies, pasta, rice, and homemade bread and baking. I refuse to eat bacon everyday!!! We drink lots of soymilk. 2.5 year old still drinks follow up soy formula. My doctor says we get enough protein from that, also I use "best for bread" flour because it contains more protein than regular flour.

I've also been buying organics. They tend to be in sealed packages, so the shopper who has touched the milk or bulk nuts isn't touching my food!

P.S. That sugar story is sad. PROUDLY CANADIAN, good food labeling here too and getting better. Probably the best place in the world to live with food allergies already and getting better all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:19 pm 

Am I the only one rebelling against the healthy stream??? I can't eat fish, seafood, milk, carrots, etc... why not enjoy what I eat the rest of the time? I eat chips, hamburgers and candy without remorse... Why not? My ice cream is made out of soy or brown rice, my cookies are healthy, I eat more vegetables then most people (I always liked them anyways) and can't eat much processed food!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:35 pm 

Saskmommy,

Sorry to hear your daughter may also be allergic to beef and chicken. Have you tried lamb? If I remember correctly when my children were babies, lamb was the first meat they could have as it was supposedly the least allergenic. Also, we have a local farm that sells emu, venison, buffalo and other "exotic" meats; I wonder if those might be alright. I have had an emu burger and it was very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:27 pm 

I believe that soccermom is right in thinking that lamb is considered to be one of the least allergenic meats. It is often included in the "few foods" diet. But I read in a reliable source (a medical journal...but I don't recollect where exactly) that some people who are allergic to beef are also allergic to lamb.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: scared of anything new
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:48 pm 

I am quite scared of trying anything new. My daughter only eats basics. Soy, whole grain baking, pasta rice fruits and veggies. I try to avoid foods with many ingredients, so that if she reacts I know what caused it. It is really nerve racking. At 2.5 I let her play with playdough for the first time. This caused a trip to the er with hives up to both arm pits. I let her try chicken, swollen face and hives, trip to the er. These were both in the last month.

Great idea on the buffalo and lamb, she seems fine with pork. I might try them later. For my own sanity (ha ha) i'm taking a break from new proteins. I plan on learning how to cook tofu, since she already lives on soy. My doctor thinks she is the healthiest 2 year old he knows. She still drinks soy follow up formula and loves it and if definitely consuming enough protein already.

When I do try anything new, I'll rub it on her back first to see if her skin reacts. I did this when she was little, before we knew of all the allergies, and thats how we found out about the egg. She never has injested any. It was then confirmed by the allergist.
I guess its best to see if the skin will react to something new before they have injested it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:44 pm 

saskmommy, I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to try anything new! --it isn't necessary so why take the risk when your daughter is so young. If you feel that you do want to try some new foods when your daughter is older, doing your own version of a skin test first does sound like it is the safest option. If there is no reaction, after that you might want to put just a bit under her tongue for about fifteen minutes and have her spit it out if it bothers her at all. that's what they do for "oral challenges" in the doctor's office. another option would be doing all of this while sitting in the waiting room in emerg.....or trying some high risk foods in the allergist's office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:32 am 

Mylène wrote:
Am I the only one rebelling against the healthy stream??? I can't eat fish, seafood, milk, carrots, etc... why not enjoy what I eat the rest of the time?

I'm with you. I've got a bag of licorice just waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can enjoy it in peace. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:22 pm 

:lol: I knew there should be at least one person out there :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:31 pm 

I'm not much for sweets but I eat crispers and Doritos all the time.