You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:29 pm 

My dad and I must have had a dozen conversations about my allergies that go like this:

Me: Dad, what kind of oil is that you are using?
Dad: Just plain old corn oil
Me: Oh, I can't eat that
Dad: Really?
Me: Yup. It's my corn allergy. No corn, corn starch, corn oil...
Dad: Wow, really? I had no idea
Me: Yeah. it's been that way for awhile

And a few months will go by, and I will be over there again, and we will have the same exact conversation :)

So tonight, I went over for a belated birthday dinner, and my stepmother brings out a cake and sets it down right in front of me, proudly declaring THIS CAKE IS GLUTEN FREE.

Me: Oh. Okay.
Her: Yup. I went to this special bakery and I told them you have allergies
Me: Great
Her: So they gave me this cake, which I is gluten free. I checked it.
Me: Okay
Her: They said this is the cake to get for people with allergies. GLUTEN FREE, isn't that great?

On the one hand, I do appreciate the effort. She obviously put some thought into it and is trying. But...um...gluten isn't really the issue, right? It's kind of a whole separate kind of allergy, isn't it? I really think she just marched into the corner bakery, said 'this cake will be for someone with allergies' and that was that :) Still, this is a little bit pf progress, no? I mean, at least they are remembering I have an allergy to something.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Last edited by ficbot on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:50 am 
Site Admin

I have met people like this but not had them in my family.

It's so frustrating because in their own way they really do try (well, your stepmom anyway).

I suspect that those little allergy cards are not for restaurants at all but for people like your parents :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Ficbot, I hear ya. This made me smile. And like you I appreciate good intentions. It's such a bubble burster when we then have to say, 'thanks so much, unfortunately ...."

People must hear more about others having to go gluten-free since I sometimes also get - 'oh you can eat this, it's gluten-free'. (I have no gluten issues.)

I don't get this much with my family though. They're pretty trained by now, but I do still send out an e-mail out ahead of a get-together that's just "a friendly reminder of what Gwen won't be able to eat". I list allergens then examples of foods. (e.g. soy allergy – mayonnaise, Worstershire sauce).

Also, my motto is: bring the dessert. I do this since it can be the most complicated for allergens. I can imagine with corn, in its many guises, dessert's especially an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 am 

Ficbot the story about your dad made me think of my mother in law. (yes I do love my mother-in-law!)
I have had to block out what she says. When I won't eat something I am allergic to, or something like cinnamon buns "that have no nuts" but were in the bin below the ones that had lots of nuts falling off of them. I am as she calls me "FUSSY" :shock:

I have explained it many of times, I know she never raised an allergic child but I give up.

I can only think back and laugh 10 years ago when I was PG with my second, my daughter and I went to see grandma she pulled out muffins for us. my gut instinct said no! but not wanting to be rude I asked No Nuts.... she said that they were fine...
Not fine they had walnuts!!!
Just so happened my hubby and I had just two days before renewed and raised our life insurance!
I told him that would not have looked good :!:

sad part is I actually think she means well she just really does not get it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 am 

I wonder why there is such a credibility issue with allergies? It's like if they came over and you said 'don't touch that stove, it's hot' they would go 'oh, okay' and it's fine. But with the food allergies, they think you are being a hypochondriac or making it up or something. I don't see my dad often so he has never seen me with any big reaction, but my mother knows what it looks like (in fact, I am going to see her tomorrow, and I bet you she notices the patch of red around my nose from some pizza that is sometimes okay and sometimes not!) I mean, I know I am lucky mine aren't deadly, but it does seem like Dad either has a total memory block and forgets we have already had conversations about this, or just assumes I am being 'over-sensitive' and it's really fine.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)