You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New allergies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:19 pm 

in the last week dd who is ana. to peanuts, tree nuts sesame has had 2 allergic reactions to food she always eats - she isnt eating much at present - so with one 1 can pretty much narrow it down to the yoghurt she was eating - her face broke out in hives, she was wheezing and had stomach cramps and diahhroea. This yoghurt is the only one she has, the same flavour, the same brand,
Her other reaction happened as she was eating a banana and her whole face covered in hives in a matter of minutes, her eyes swollen shut.
Could she suddenly start reacting to something one day that she was fine to eat the day before?

Right now I have a girl who is afraid to eat anything because 'safe' foods are causing reactions so she is scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:42 am 
Site Admin

Oh my, that is scary! Yes, you can develop an alergy at any time (look at adult onset allergies). Keep the ingredient label of the yoghurt if you can and contcat your daughters alergist to make an appointment. If you still have some yoghurt, pop it in the freezer to save until you get the appointment and bring it along.

Could the yoghurt have become contaminated with one of her allergens? Could she have developed a banana allergy at it may contain bananas? It is hard to envision that one day she developed 2 different allergens, but anything is possible with allergies.

Because her reactions sound very severe, I would be very careful when she is eating and at the first sign of a reaction (mouth feeling funny, hives, wheezing etc) give the Epi-Pen. You don't need to wait for the reaction to get bad enough to warrant giving it. It will stop the reaction at whatever point the reaction is.

She needs to know that she will be kept safe when she is eating. Why don't you give her loads of time and let her build up to eating? Have her rub a bit of the meal on her forearm, then her cheek and then her lip. Have her take a small bite and wait. Then let her eat at her pace.

This might not be possible if she is at school. :(

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Check the yogurt ingredients - some contain soy. Some kids with peanut allergy also react to soy, another legume.

Not suggesting this is the case, just trying to help you with possible clues. Any other non-peanut, tree nut foods she's ever reacted to in a minor way? Might there be a common ingredient with that food(s) and the yogurt?

I completely relate to the poor girl's fears - it is an unnerving experience to find a "safe" food is no longer safe. Tell her this has happened to lots of grownups and kids of parents on this forum. But that once they can figure out that other allergy trigger, everything is fine again.

Remind her of all the foods she likes, and that never cause her troubles. Having been through this personally, I can advise that eating simple, plain foods during this period of unease helps calm a person about their food. Keep it as non-threatening as possible.