You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Soybutter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:57 pm 

Was not sure where to place this question. First I must say I found my new favorite treat. I put soybutter on a graham cracker and sprinkle chocolate chipits on it. :D Yum!!

I was telling my sister about my new favorite treat and she proceeded to tell me how much "Estrogen" was in soybutter and soy products, so much so that she knew people who were told
1. by their doctor to not have soy products because they needed to keep their estrogen down.
2. a mother who refused to give her boys anything soy!

I am not overly worried about this but I guess I would like to find out a little more about this situation as I do have a boy that enjoys my "favorite treat".
Since I have never had peanut butter in the house my son and I are trying soybutter and jelly and soybutter and honey sandwiches....
I feel like forrest gump with his shrimp!

Soybutter and....... :D

I also was just told peanut butter is not sweet :shock:
No one told me it was, I just always thought it was.

Thanks in advance if anyone can tell me anything about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:34 am 
Site Admin

Soy based estrogen- I have heard the pro and con arguments before. I have never been able to find conclusive informantion from reliable sources. (I try to weed out those biases such as the dairy council and the soy council and focus on scientific organizations)
What I have been able to find is this:
http://www.healthnews.com/family-health ... -1468.html
Quote:
(M)en who consume soy products may have lower sperm counts than those who don't. The study was based on a small group of men who visited the Massachusetts General Hospital Fertility Center from 2000 to 2006.

This study is so full of wholes it looks like swiss cheese. Imagine, finding men at a fertility clinic had low sperm counts!
It took them 6 years to find 99 men who would agree to participate. That is a very small representation of the general population. Also, they were asked about specific soy products and the ammount of those product that they ate.
Anyone trying to avoid soy knows that it is found in many, many foods. No one asked the participants to keep a detailed diary nor did they investigate the ingredients of those foods to determine an accurate ammount of soy consumption.
Small focus group, specific target, not a double blind study, poor controls, inaccurate data.....

I also found these articles which at least seem to try be unbiased:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/soya.asp

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=51615

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/conte ... Cancer.asp

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Haven't had a chance to read Susan's links (though I will). But as someone who's soy allergic I read a lot about soy/estrogen.

Most experts seem to say that for those who aren't allergic to it, soy is quite a healthy product, but it just shouldn't be consumed excessively. There are moderate heart benefits if you're older (e.g. this won't effect kids). The estrogen impact is considered to be related to really high levels of consumption.

Sounds like it's not often a health issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:21 pm 

I haven't checked out those links yet but am going to do so now after reading this post. I do feel a little considered as my son and me have a lot of soy products (my son has severe milk allergy so is on soy formula and actually prefers a lot of the soy products I eat as I'm a vegaterian). Zachary actually consumes large amounts of his soy formula, loves it. We have to use soy milks, butters, ice-creams etc.

So, what other options are out there to get protein (in my case) and that are milk alternatives without soy? Does anyone know an allergy dietian? That's something we were thinking about before, but haven't done yet. We've seen a regular dietian before but not so helpful on actually assisting with finding more safe food options when avoiding so many food groups (dairy, sesame seeds, peanuts and fish)???

Thanks for any help!

Jodi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:27 pm 

Thank you Susan for the different web sites. I would agree there is not one answer to this. Also men in a fertility clinic with low sperm count. :shock: possible!
I think it is hard for anyone to have any sure answers unless a true and accurate study could be done. I guess for now we will enjoy the soybutter treats and sandwiches.
Also just for the record I was allergic to milk as a child and drank Prosoby (SP) a soy based milk until I was about 10 years old. I am just glad to get some information on this as I had never heard of this before.
I had also thought of speaking to a dietitian who knows allergies to help me balance some foods out.
I know you can become allergic to anything at any time, but would eating something plenty (like chocolate :D ) could this make a person more likely to become allergic to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Paige, no matter what you do as a parent, there will be someone around to point to a study which shows you are doing it all wrong!

The experts can't even agree half the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am 

I too have similar concerns. I have read several studies about the negative effects of soy. Apparently soy based formulas have been banned in Australia because boys were developing breasts!

There was a recent study that came out that apparently made a direct link between decreased sperm count in men and soy consumption. It recommended that men trying to start a family should decrease their consumption. I wondered if that meant that it was a temporary situation as opposed to a permanent decrease??

I am especially concerned because both of my boys were born with an undescended testicle. We were told when they had the surgery to descend it that this would likely mean that their fertility could be decreased even if the testicle is fully functional (which we have no way of knowing at this time if it is or not!) We were also told that each generation of men has a decreased fertility from their fathers and grand fathers because of the effects of our environment and stress and nutrition...

So of course my dilemma is do I continue to feed them soy and possibly contribute to a decrease in fertility or do I stop? It's difficult because my youngest's diet is so limited and soy based products have been a great addition. Moreover we used to be vegetarian until he was diagnosed with multiple food allergies. We stopped when it got to be too difficult to manage and to make 3 different meals at meal time. But now that we can have soy and legumes and my oldest son is not much of a meat eater anyways, we have been moving more and more towards a vegetarian diet again.

It's incredibly frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any way for a regular person like us to know which studies are true and which aren't and it seems really cruel that the end result could be that my boys will not be able to be fathers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Triliam, I think the study you're referring to is the one I quoted.
http://www.healthnews.com/family-health ... -1468.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm 

So, what other options are out there to get protein (in my case) and that are milk alternatives without soy?
Thanks for any help!

Jodi :)[/quote]

We really like Sunbutter, which is like peanut butter, but made with sunflower seeds. It tastes much better to me than the soynut butter. You can also find "nut butter" made from pumpkin seeds online, but I haven't seen it in stores yet. Also, Rice Dream makes a yummy ice cream with rice milk. These are just some ways to diversify your diet if you are concerned about too much soy.

You asked it too much of a certain food can lead to an allergy, and I think that in sensitive individuals it can. (Just my thought.) My daughter has developed a soy allergy after 4 years of using soy replacement products in lieu of dairy products. We are trying to lessen dependence on any one food group, and make sure to use a variety of foods now. I keep trying to find new products that are made from things that we may not have as much of, so that we can *hopefully* not develop any more allergies.

Good luck, and happy eating!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Jodi, how old is your son? Can he have chicken or beef? What about peas and beans?