You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:47 pm 

We were told in mid September that we needed to remove wheat and soy from our daughter's diet, as she came back as allergic to these on a RAST test. She goes in for skin prick testing at the end of October to confirm the allergy. In the meantime, everyone in the family is suffering from GI distress. I'm sorry if this is TMI, but all 5 of us have had problems with gassiness and intermittent spastic bowels. Does anyone have suggestions on how to help our systems adjust to the new diet restrictions? (We all eat "safe", and are avoiding dairy, eggs,nuts, beef, soy and wheat, with the exception of the toddler who is still drinking soy milk as rice milk does not have enough fat.) I really thought that we would be adjusted by now, but it seems to be a continuing problem. I am reluctant to see a dietician because the last time we saw one, she advised that my food allergic child was not getting enough protein and I should smear peanut butter on everything. YIKES! If I had followed her advice we might not have a food allergic child! Any advice would be helpful. Or if you could help with how long it took your system to adjust to a new diet....

Thanks!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:32 am 
Site Admin

I am assuming that you have increased the beans in your diet?

They say that the body will eventually settle down but how about increasing the fish and fowl and decreasing the beans for a while?

Make a list of what you know she can eat. Grains, protiens etc and try to increase some of the ones you haven't been eating so much of to see if things get better.

Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Susan. What about more chicken and fish for the protein, which should be fairly easy to digest.

Good grain bread from a baker should be soy-free. If you're buying at a grocery store bakery, ask to see the ingredients book (Sobey's and others have one), and get to know the breads that don't have soy added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:13 pm 

What have been your primary protein sources? I had not been eating any meat for quite a while and had been using hemp, flax, and salba as protein sources which were non-gassy. In the last year, I have decided to feed our family farm raised, (grass, grain fed, no hormones etc. ) ELK and BISON (and organic beef...but that does not work for you). They are both (ELK and BISON) VERY lean, taste good and are VERY healthy. Elk even has less fat and calories than chicken! I'm, not sure the exact nutritional specs of bison. Lately we've also been eating many varieties of squash (speghetti, buttercup, butternut, acorn, zuccini) in place of a starch at meal time. Also we've been eating rice, potatoes, and quinoa. We rarely eat wheat unless its in a muffin (or homemade stuffing). We're not allergic, I've just found that I prefer the alternatives.

Calcium? Supplement or fortified OJ work. As well, eat foods which do not suck calcium from your bones.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:30 pm 

Thanks for your input everyone! We eat a lot of chicken and turkey, and lots of fruit veggies and rice. I carefully thought about what had changed the most, and I think that while we may have beans a little more now, we also introduced pork into our diet. We had been avoiding it because of a diet restriction her dad had, but it has been lifted, so maybe the pork is doing it. Hmmm... Thanks for the great suggestions, I have more to ponder now.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg