You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm 

A friend of mine is doing some research and I'm posting this poll for her.

In her experience working with families who have special needs/circumstances, she's noticed a trend of medical professionals not taking primary caregivers (mostly moms) seriously. Often moms' instincts were minimized and they were told they were over-protective, paranoid etc.

She's investigating this issue and would appreciate your honest feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:08 pm 

Help! I tried to add the poll option, but it didn't work for me! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 am 

I vote 'not really.' For two YEARS, he told me it was just eczema when I knew it wasn't (I am an eczema regular and know what it looks like on me) and finally, I made the connection on my own, kept a food diary, then went in and demanded testing. Sure enough, 95% of my eczema (including an extremely painful ring of red around my eyes that hurt and itched and cracked for two solid years) cleared up. And he *still* tells me there is no correlation between what I eat and what happens to my skin. And when I do go in with a new skin issue, he acts all affronted when I ask him to send me to a dermatologist, then tells me it is only eczema and would I like some hydrocortizone cream. He is apparently a good diagnostician for stuff like heart problems (caught something in my stepdad that could easily have been missed) but I have not been happy with his treatment of my allergies.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 am 

I'm not sure how to make the poll work so I'll just put my answer here too. My GP took my mom seriously but not really me. My throat was bothering me every day for almost a year (dry, swollen, hard time swallowing) and he just kept asking me if I was an anxious person and if I wanted anti-anxiety pills. If it wasn't for my mom telling him that I am the most carefree person out there, I think that's all he would have offered me. But thankfully she was there with my every time we went back to see him, forced him to send me for a bunch of tests to rule out anything seriously and now finally we found out that it's the muscles in my neck and shoulders that have affected the inside of my throat and since I've been doing massotherapy everything is back to normal. So I guess the answer is "yes" because he took my mom seriously but if I had gone alone to all my appointments he would not have taken me seriously. Hope that helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:55 am 
Site Admin

I have created the poll for this question in the forum Website and online forum feedback please click the link below to go there.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4124

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]