You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:22 pm 

I was having a conversation with someone over the weekend whose brother has an allergy to peanuts. During the conversation she stated that every time someone uses their epi pen, the length of time it remains effective shortens with each successive use. I have never heard this before - has anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 pm 

I have never heard this, but I am going to look it up for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:36 pm 

Heard lots of things, but not that one... I know that my symptoms become stronger with every reaction so it's not a tolerance to the epinephrine that's affecting it's effectiveness but the strenght of the reaction that it needs to fight... that could be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:44 pm 

I have never heard of that about the epi pens. There may some old wives tales out there :D

I was talking to 3rd year Medicial student about anaphylaxis. His daughter was interested in talking to me as she ana to nuts and peanuts. I must say it was not too unpleasent to talk to a educated child (she was about 9 or 10), who wanted to share her first time and the details and wanted to hear my story of my first time that I remeber.She was comparing what had happened to us, very detailed....
Her Father was looking at us so differently, we were able to share something so serious and well, it could be thought of as private also. (I would not of talked of this at all as child, it was off limits in our home)
He told me that the body remebers each exposure and that it is ready when you are exposed again and therefore it reacts worse. Like it is in our Memory Banks ( like the computers).
I have to print some information for them and give them my magazine when I see them this weekend.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:41 am 

Mylène wrote:
I know that my symptoms become stronger with every reaction so it's not a tolerance to the epinephrine that's affecting it's effectiveness but the strenght of the reaction that it needs to fight... that could be it.

Mylene, I think that's what she might have been referring to and perhaps she got her facts mixed up. I had never heard of this before, and I wasn't able to find anything on the internet to support it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 am 

I've never heard this one before either, but maybe the person might have been thinking of the fact that in biphasic reactions (i.e. when one goes to the hospital is treated and everything but the reaction comes back hours later) that the second reaction is harder to control. (I'm fairly sure I read of this somewhere.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 pm 

Lisa wrote:
I've never heard this one before either, but maybe the person might have been thinking of the fact that in biphasic reactions (i.e. when one goes to the hospital is treated and everything but the reaction comes back hours later) that the second reaction is harder to control. (I'm fairly sure I read of this somewhere.)

Yes Lisa;
I am very aware of biphasic reaction you mention. The Allergiest and the ER staff have warned us about when I have had reactions that were ana.
Kelly