You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:01 am 

For the ones who can kill a child, and up to end of high school. The most tragic experience happened to me in high school, not in elementary school although most people would probably think that it would be the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:12 pm 

Youngvader, a ban won't protect you if someone wants to use your allergy against you. I agree with other writers that relating our personal stories to educate is an effective way to ease the hostile feelings. My sister's family just didn't get it and used to tease my son with shaking unopened tins of peanuts near him until my sister heard me speak at a "Mom and Me" group meeting. I told everyone, in detail, about my son's anaphylactic reaction -- from the swollen lips, vomitting, total body hives, and right up to his semi-conscious state. My sister came up to me later and said, "I had no idea it was like that!" Her family has never teased my son since and are careful to make all food peanut-free when we visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 pm 

I agree that education is key too. If a school has an allergy plan in place, allergy-related bullying clearly won't be tolerated. Plus with greater understanding of allergies, kids are less likely to bully others (I would hope). When kids are young I believe that peanut bans are necessary. Yes, in highschool, students are probably old enough to shoulder more responsibility, but peanut bans at least in common eating areas are still a good idea in my opinion when the students in question have a contact allergy. Cases have been reported of reactions from trace peanut proteins on surfaces that have been thoroughly cleaned. (I'm getting this from that document I cited elsewhere on this site written by several Canadian allergists on recommendations for schools and school boards.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:27 am 

shaking unopened tins of peanuts near him

That's one thing. When they try to force peanuts down your throat or spread peanut butter in your face, it's a totally different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 am 

Youngvader, do you think that would not have happened if the school had a ban in place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:47 pm 

I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. And otherwise, I think the perpetrator would have been severly punished. You need laws and we need to obey them. Otherwise, it's just a free for all.