You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Paramedics and Epipen
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 pm 

I didn't know where I should post this - please feel free to move it!

I just came home from CPR / St. John's Training. The instructor stated that paramedics cannot give the epipen if there is an allergic reaction. Apparently they have epinephrine in ambulance, but unless a doctor says to give it they cannot! Is this true?

Also, the instructor said that you cannot get an epipen without a prescription - I thought I read somewhere that a prescription is not required and you can buy one at the pharmacy. Am I imagining reading this somewhere?

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I see you are in Toronto. According to the Toronto EMS website, even the earliest level of entry into Paramedics can administer epinephrene.
We had a tour of the Paramedic Headquarters last year and the paramedic told us that he would not use our auto-injector as he would give the exact dose for the body weight of the person suffering from anaphylaxis (the auto-injectors are dumbed down to just 2 dosages). They also have other drugs at their disposal to use as necessary.
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/abou ... edics.html

According to EpiPen FAQ's
Quote:
Q: Do I need a prescription to buy EpiPen/EpiPen Jr.?
A:
No. EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. is available for purchase without a prescription in Canada. However, it is kept behind the pharmacy counter and a prescription may be required in order to receive reimbursement from certain insurance providers

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 pm 

My conversation with Toronto EMS agrees with Susan's.

But, fyi, the lower level paramedics cannot give benedryl. I thought that was odd. My son explained it to me -- and it was kind of confirmed when I was sitting in the ER when the paramedics brought in a child having a reaction. I overheard the paramedic telling the nurse that the mother had given the child benedryl when they arrived.

To add to the EpiPen FAQ - as well as insurance, a prescription would be required to deduct on your income taxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am 

AnnaMaria and Susan,

Thanks for your responses - I checked out the Toronto EMS website and it stated that the paramedics are certified by a doctor to.... Does that mean they need to wait for a doctor to approve the medication?

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin

You might want to check with Anaphylaxis Canada - I was at a fundraising dinner they held a few years back.

If I'm not mistaken, the award that a Barrie-area EMT was receiving had to do with his lobbying to get approval so that EMTs could give epinephrine without a doctor's approval. (Important since ana. progresses swiftly.)

I'm quite sure this directive change was made, and suspect your instructor's information was out of date. But check with AC - see www.anaphylaxis.ca