* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Now it's the chipmunks from hell.

We were having a fantastic last week at a lovely, rented cottage. All blissed out on vacation and sunshine. Except I had noticed that one of neighbours on the west side must have been feeding the darling little chipmunks since, right near the border of these 2 spacious properties there were a bunch of scattered peanut shells.

No biggie I thought, don't have to go over that far, we'll just avoid them. But those contemptible shells refuse to stay put. One ended up attached to one of my gym socks, which I only wear under gym shoes. What's this I'd thought, sorting laundry without my glasses on. Uh-oh, I realized too late. Flung it into the garbage. Washed, took Benadryl but got a nice big swollen thumb and slightly less swollen index finger for a couple of hours.

I can report I was pretty cool about it. Certain it would only be a contact reaction – and it was. (Had a Twinject and an Epi available. That also calms the nerves.)

Husband raked up offending shell particles. Bliss returned. But no more picking off stuff I can't identify with blurry eyeballs. What was I thinking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 pm 

On vacation and went to the out door pool where they have lawn chairs and patio tables. I was sitting by one of the tables and noticed peanuts on the ground :x :x For one thing people clean up after your self. Now I know not everyone is allergic to peanuts but it instantly makes me feel like everything is contaminated. we have to move to a new spot (not many spots to pick on a sunny day by the pool) Grr!! So need less to say we get to sit in a spot at the pool that was not so great because others like to throw peanuts around, I am also not interested in getting in that pool. This is frustrating as it just seems on vacation or when you try to go out side the box (my house) if it is not one thing its another.
I also should be thrilled as we are going out for dinner this eve. but I dread the menu at new restaurant. Hope it has a basic menu at this steak house. Wish me luck it is my anniversary and I would not want to get sick today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Paige - first, happy anniversary!

Second - hate those shell spreaders. Between prominence of allergies and sheer mess, you'd think people would wise up.

In case helpful, here's what I do in restos I don't know:
Go to the "washroom" then sidle up to the kitchen and speak directly to the chef about your allergies. Ask which apps/entrees will be safe for you.

You still do the customary allergy spiel with the server for reinforcement, but no one knows the menu like the chef. I'm also a fan of skipping the dessert minefield.

Yours in shell-free vacationing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 pm 

It was a quiet night at the restaurant. I made the waitress write down my major allergies and I kept it basic steak, baked potato and salad. It was great. I can't remember when the last time was that I ordered dessert (except Mcdonalds mcflurry :D ) But I did it was the Cream Brulee I Double, Double checked it and It was Sooooo Good. Back to not ordering again as I know that is the worst area to get burned. Last year our dinner out I got sick. It was not from desserts but we went to a crepe restaurant. I am sure it was cross contamination. Any ways had a nice dinner out glad we can leave the kids as they are old enough, my babies are taller than me! Anytime you can go out to a new restaurant and leave the restaurant feeling great and enjoyed the dinner it is a great victory. :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

A little gardening Sunday afternoon and, yup, spring's first peanut shells.

I'm now keeping one pair of rubber gloves just for picking up shells - e.g. brain is trained: do not touch face or arms when wearing.
Seemed easier than trying to train the squirrels not to dine in my yard. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

If you put moisturizer on first, you'll get a deep treatment as work! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am 

Paige, it's great that you had a good dinner out!!

I agree about avoiding the desert minefield.

And the peanut spreading critters are too much. I've found more in my yard since easter, still in shells, buried in the mulch. Have they just never been there before, or have I just not noticed them?