You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 pm 

I am becoming suspicious that I might have a wheat issue---not an outright allergy, not celiac as the symptoms don't quite match, but a small intolerance. The symptoms listed on-line for it are very vague (eczema, for example, which could be caused by all sorts of things!) but the difference for me is that due to Passover (where my other allergens are among the forbidden foods) I know I have not been exposed to anything else that's a problem for me, and the ONLY new variable this week has been the matzo products.

Plus I have had for awhile some difficulties with bread---not severe enough to stop me if I really want some, and cereal (the little I have of it---a handful in my trail mix) seems to be fine. But my past history with bready things coupled with this new variable of it being Passover and I know there was no yeast or corn in my food for at last a week---has me suspicious that it might be the wheat.

I know they can actually do a blood test for celiac, which as I said, has a different symptom list. But everything I found on Google for just 'intolerance' seems to say that the only way to diagnose it is personal history (i.e. don't eat it and see if the problem goes away). So, since there is no actual test for it, I suspect all I will get out of an allergist appointment is 'if it bothers you, don't eat it.'

Is it worth going to see him before I start experimenting with cutting things out? I don't eat a ton of wheat stuff anyway so it's not like it will be such a huge change for me. And I really don't know what he'll say, in the absence of a test which will confirm it, other than 'try it and see how it goes.'

For things like this, would you wing it? Or do you always go when you have a question?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Admin

I would make an appointment to discuss it with your allergist prior to cutting the food out of your diet.

I have a great raport with our allergist and I have made appointments for consultation when I have questions. He has been able to squeeze me in.

The purpose of dietary restrictions is to avoid an anaphylaxic reaction but unecessary restrictions can create many problems from health issues to quality of life issues. The medical community's focus is to avoid unnecessary restrictions.

Because our wheat is enriched with vitamins, removing this food from your diet can mean that you need to pay extra attention to how you get these from your diet.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:36 pm 

Susan, I'm afraid that it's these vitamins (added to many foods including wheat flour and milk) that are a major problem for people with corn allergy because the vitamins are almost always in a corn starch/oil carrier. There are some "unenriched" wheat flours out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Eldi. I feel for the corn allergic people. It seems to be in everything and as it is not a "priority" allergen, it does not have to be labelled as stringently.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:50 pm 

I should have addressed my comment to Ficbot as well because she is also allergic to corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 pm 

No, I don't take my son to see the allergist when we suspect a problem with certain food. So far every time we have suspected a food it has turned out to be a true allergy.
How about discussing this with a dietitian? Maybe they could work with you in cutting out a certain food and still be able to get the nutrients that you need?