You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am 

OK, I have a question. My daughter is severely allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts. I know she is not reacting to smells, but the airborne milk and egg particles in the air, during frying and scalding. She has reacted numerous times to airborne particles (this is what I believe) with swelling in the face and eyes, and sneezing, runny nose, and hives on neck. No other symptoms, no difficulty breathing, no vomiting. Reactine or Benadryl typically takes care of it within an hour. We are afraid to go to Costco, or Superstore (Loblaws) with her. She has reacted that way when we passed the bakery section in Costco, and the deli section in Superstore. She also had the very same reaction in an open buffet style restaurant. This has happened a total of 5 or 6 times so far. In all those times she was on my shoulder or in her stroller, not seated in a cart and had not had any food at all. In the case of the restaurant, we did not even have a chance to sit. It happened as soon as we entered in the reception area while we waited in line, less than 5 minutes, on three different occasions. This is so frustrating especially when the allergist thinks I am over reacting and just being paranoid. I stopped taking her to those stores and we do not go to restaurants anymore. I don't mind that, but I find myself very upset and scared now that the allergist asked me to take pictures of the reaction.

Did anyone else have their allergist ask for pictures? Is this common, and do you just carry a camera on you at all times? Frustrated and confused. Does the allergist not believe me? :scratchy

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 am 

I would think a person can react to just about anything in this day and age. Our son at a year reacted the same way when we walked by a nut roasting stand at an NHL hockey game. He also reacted that way once when we were in the food court (we just arrived, he never got out of the stroller, we never touched him). He is fine in the food court now (still in the stroller of course). He used to react in the dollar store to all the cheap plastics and smells and in payless shoes he used to react.
Could your daughter reacting to something else, possibly, could you be right - absolutely!!! It can be so frustrating with a little one as they can't talk and say if something was bothering them already or if it just started etc.. I completely empathize.

Our son had endless reactions from about 6 months to 18 months. Every time I'd explain what happened our allergist's first response was to question me more than ask questions about the reaction. Had I touched something, was there cross contamination, he is amazing but I felt ridiculous at times, like he thought I was looney or looking for reactions. He did ask me also a few times if I had pictures, I really felt like he was ridiculing me even if that was not his intention at all. Then he'd see our son,(at first I think more to appease me and show I was wrong), test again, do an oral challenge etc. and each time he looked totally shocked at the results. For every situation /reaction I described a new anaphylactic allergy would show or our son would react a certain way right in front of him to a food that I knew had bothered our DS.
I would always hope in a way that I was imagining things and our son wasn't so sensitive but I knew 100% when something was wrong . Now no matter how odd a situation I describe (be it soaps or lotions or foods) our allergist really pays attention now as I so far have never been wrong. I may not know exactly what is causing the reactions but I know when/how they happen enough that an explanation can be found. Any rule of thumb our allergist was accustomed to our son doesn't follow, I think that was difficult at first for our allergist, if something shouldn't happen it did, if something should happen it didn't.
Stick to your gut instint. I kept a diary of every reaction, what we were eating, what we touched, the exact symptoms, the order of the symptoms, how long they lasted, if you gave benadryl etc.. If I made food I would say purreed in the blender, was something else used before that might have left trace in the blender etc.. If it was meat, how was it cooked, what exact cut of meat. I brought this to every visit to the allergist and each time it was what helped us solve each new mystery.
:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish