You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dog saliva/Dog food?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 pm 

When my dog licks my daughter, she gets quite the red rash, hives and it spreads. I assumed she was allergic to dog saliva until last weekend when she was licked by a Mira dog at the local mall and didn't react at all.

Is it possible that a dogs mouth would contain the allergen for a prolonged period of time after his eating it? I'll talk to her allergist about it, but our appointment is only in december, and I want to get an idea if this is a possibility first.

It seems odd, but my dog eats special food because he has a few food intolerences, so I can't really switch his food either, this could prove to be interesting.

Post subject: Re: Dog saliva/Dog food?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 pm 

Have you read the ingredients list on the dog food? Does it contain her allergens? If so, it is very possible that this could be a cause of her reactions to your doggies kisses and not other doggies kisses. Unless you are spending time cleaning your dogs mouth after he/she eats it is a definite possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I'm no allergist but ... seems plausible she could get a contact reaction since with people there are reports of kiss reactions after eating peanut or nuts. Not sure if it would be the same for beef etc., but could be.

Can your dog tolerate a lamb-based or chicken-based food? That might help.

I know I watch for people at our local park trying to give my pooch peanut-based treats.
I ask that they pls not - I don't want a lick reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 am 

When I called Iams and Nutro over a year ago to check on ingredient/trace they both warned that their dog food could possibly be contaminated with peanut butter. Because the food is for pets regulations are different. Some ingredients are stored in open containers. The storing, processing and packaging of different pet foods are all done together on the same lines. Peanut butter treats are huge for dogs and these treat products I was warned could easily cross contaminate the dry food.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:11 am 

If your dog has food intolerances have you tried making your own food? It doesn't have to be difficult and it is nice to know what is in their food especially considering what the pet food makers use as fillers. There are lots of recipes out there but it doesn't have to be difficult. I make mine in a slow cooker and add all the ingredients, cook it together and freeze it in containers. That way even our pet food is nut free.