You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:41 pm 

Conveyor belts at the grocery store, that have unidentifed spills on them. You can't really avoid them, because your groceries all get moved as the belt moves. :?
I have had some cleaned, but it's almost every trip that there is something on them.

Another frustration... a product I have come to depend on suddenly gets pulled from the shelf forever, or the ingredients change, making it off limits. :cry:

Anyone have more??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:54 pm 

A girlfriend of mine is constantly feeding her children on the way over to my house and breezes in the door with her girls covered in stuff like meringue cookies!! Then she goes and washes up in my bathroom and uses our towels! At least she tries to clean them up I guess. What she doesn't realize is then I have to go clean up the bathroom get rid of the towel, and the girls clothes still have the food all over it! Or she holds out a cookie or snack to me and asks "does this have egg in it?" Ah gee... I don't know... does it look like I have x-ray vision? Where's the package?!!!
I don't even take Josh to her house anymore because last time, we were there for over half an hour before she says... "The girls had scrambled eggs this morning and I'm pretty sure I got it all but you know what they are like... throwing it everywhere Ha Ha" She knew we were coming over before she gave them breakfast... would it have been so hard to serve cereal or something? At least not PURE egg! Or call me and say, "My house isn't so Josh proof today... how about yours?" Geesh! :roll:

Hmmm.. sorry. That was a bit of a rant wasn't it? :oops: Guess it's been building up. I've tried talking to her about it but I don't think it's sinking in.
Sorry again :)
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:24 pm 

That is so hard to deal with!!!!! Some people "GET IT"... and some people just DON'T!!!! (And probably never will unfortunately).

Do you have problems with relatives? My in-laws are pretty much oblivious to the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

I used to have probems with the in-laws before I realised that they were just far behind where I wason the learning curve as they only saw her 4 times a year.
I stopped expecting them to be as educated as I was and started imposing rules at their house around food.
I stashed dd safe margarine, noodles, soy milk etc at their house and always carried a can (and can opener) of dd's favourite ham. I told them what they could cook with and that the only margarine on the table would be dd's.
Dd and I do all of their Christmas baking so I don't have to worry. I suppy all of the Easter candy and dd helps me stuff it into the plastic Easter eggs.
I find that they have relaxed now that the pressure is not on them. Now they are much more receptive.
I think that at first I had a hard time telling them what to do (respect your elders...), now they look at me with a new found respect.
I had to do something, after cheese for a snack and pizza for dinner one night, it was this or ban them outright!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:07 am 

Spring: That's a good way to put... People either get it or they don't. My Mom and Dad are actually great with the egg thing... my sisters don't get it (I too ran into my younger sister making a dinner Josh couldn't touch with a ten foot pole even after I explained the allergy)

My in-laws are a lot like yours Susan and Spring. Everytime we visit I have to make sure that I make the food and provide egg free bread and stuff. They don't want the responsibility. My Mother-in-law and I are pretty much best friends and we had our first real argument over Bill 3. I thought she would understand our need to make the schools safe for our kids (or at least everyone in the schools aware and educated about anaphylaxis) seeing as how she has a grandson who could die at school because of a misunderstanding with food (or crafts!) Instead she was to the other extreme. Pick your kid up from school for meals (including recess) and be a stay at home mom if you can afford it so daycares don't have the burden of accomodating "special" children. I was floored. She didn't think the schools should cater to a "minority" group. I tried to explain how I felt about the whole thing and it was like talking to a brick wall.

One of my older sisters actually told me to just give him the egg everyday and he would eventually get used to it! What part of HE WILL DIE did we not get?

Another frustration I have is going to our local playgroup run by the city (the only actual playgroup in town). They have a nut ban in place for the group but when I approached the lady who runs the group about explaining to everyone to at least make sure the kids didn't run around without washing their hands after eating she just shrugged it off. And the craft they did for easter was decorating eggs. I take Josh 3 days a week so on the day before the egg day she says to me, "We are decorating eggs tomorrow but they will be hardboiled and in their shells so Josh should be fine." I told her that wouldn't work so she asked me to stay home. I appreciated the warning but I'm ticked that he needed to be excluded from something like that when it would have been a simple switch to paper plate eggs or paper eggs or bunnies or something. Kids don't care if the eggs are real... they just have fun making the mess.

I just went on another rant :oops: LOL Sorry! I think I'm emotionally repressed or something LOL I promise my next post will be only 2 or 3 lines... I swear!
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:02 am 

Nah, it's fine. We need to rant sometimes and if you are not going to do it with us, people who will understand what you are going through, than when and where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 am 

:D Thanks!
Robin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:32 pm 

(deleted)

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:09 pm 

Here's something... say you do brave the restaurants or even the mall and you go to use the bathroom. When you're done you go to wash your hands.... What's in the soap inside that dispenser? There is no ingridient list. For the longest time I just took the risk with Josh... you gotta wash your hands right? Then I discouvered hand sanitizer! I make him run his hands under the water like we are washing, then we dry and then I put the hand sanitizer on him. Works well.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Wet wipes.
They're so great for wiping down tables and chairs. Dd used to get hives from sitting in the shopping cart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:41 pm 

I am the same as you all and it is me that is the one with the bad allergies.
Is not amazing that people do not understand....
My children have hayfever,one has the shellfish/fish and the other excema
I also hate to shake hands with people at times.
I prefer for my Godson to visit me as my house is safer for me.
They have fish products at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:45 am 

Hee! You don't need to put a break return at the end of every line while you are typing, Kelly. The software will look after that automatically for you. Although it does make your posts look very poetic!