prescriptions are required

cost is approximately $105 - but I only have to pay 90%

Listing of provinces:

prescriptions required

Ontario

prescriptions NOT required

Quebec
Saskatchewan

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:55 pm 

Saskatchewan

Cost varies by pharmacy. I usually call all local pharmacies to find the best expiry date and price.

I usually pay $95 OTC, it costs about $10 more with a prescription. My husbands work drug plan does NOT cover them even though they cover just about everything else including hydracortizone and birth control pills. I have told him to look into it, and request that epi-pens and twin ject be covered. OTC is really convinient to replace one that is near expiration, or purchase extras for out of town trips.

Twin ject is cheaper ( I do not know why). About $90 or so, but my pharmacy does not have them...or the ability to order them last time I checked ( 2 minutes ago ). I will probably purchase twin ject instead of an epi pen next time I purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:23 pm 

Are the things covered by your husband's insurance all require prescription? Our insurance only covers things that actually require a prescription.

Regarding cost - sometimes it is cheaper to buy an OTC with a prescription. They add on the dispensing fee (anywhere from $7 - $15) but they don't charge tax. Or at least they don't charge both taxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:22 pm 

Québec doesn't require a prescription. The last Epipen I got was 99$, but prices vary from 95-110$. It is covered by my insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:37 pm 

We tried to get the epipens (with a prescription) covered in april 04, when we were first prescribed...and denied. I also I bought new ones in aug 06 without prescriptions and denied again. I told my husband to write a request form to his medical insurance...but I'm sure he has not done it yet...but will do it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:20 am 

I have edited my first post. I'm hoping to list all the provinces.

I think this is especially important for people that lives where it is not required. If you are in Ontario and need to replace your epi-pen, you need to know that you have to see a doctor first. And also, please note that a pharmacy cannot honour a prescription written by a doctor in a different province.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:46 am 

I am glad that we do not need a prescription here. If I needed to use one on my daughters, and go to the hospital, I would want to replace it before leaving. I would probably send family to get one for us before we leave the hospital. What if she had a biphasic reaction and I did not have an epipen...because I had to see my doctor first. That sounds dangerous to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:21 pm 

I'm glad we do need a prescription - otherwise insurance would not pay for it.

I always have one or two for me - and my son carries one and has one at school. If it was used in the hospital, I would ask the doctor for a prescription before I left. Also, we usually have some refill prescriptions at the pharmacy.

I definitely think for someone like you, it's important to know this if you are travelling though. You need to know to ask the doctor before leaving the hospital. (Of course, I hope you never need to use it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:10 pm 

Québec doesn't require a prescription.

Ahem! Maybe in the Ottawa region but in Montreal, I can't get one without a prescription. I have no idea how much it cost since my insurance covers me 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:58 pm 

Ottawa isn't in Quebec. At least not on my maps. (Of course, they did sneak a third territory in there without my noticing - so anything is possible. :shock: )

Mylene - where are you? Ontario or Quebec?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:01 pm 

On the river between the 2 ;). I live on the Québec side and work in Ontario, so I'm always in between. I was just there and my pharmacist confirmed that we don't need a prescription... :? Probably because yours is covered 100% that you absolutely need a prescription, but I can buy one no problem without a prescription... and it was the same when the Anakit was still around... You should try another pharmacy and ask...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 am 

Ottawa isn't in Quebec

True but I guess you are not familiar with the geographical situation of our national capital. I said the Ottawa region which is half in Quebec since Ottawa has a border with Quebec and I knew Mylène lived there, she mentionned it in a previous post while looking for a grocery store that delivers.

Anyway, Mylene, I've been to many pharmacies since I had an epipen (4 I think) and I had 3 different regimes, including the provincial one, and I always needed a prescription. Maybe it's recent that you don't need one, but in the past, you always needed one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:31 pm 

I guess I have a good pharmacist :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:57 pm 

Hmm! This idea appears to be a bust. I've tried to search for this information over the internet, and never even realized it would be different province to province.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

AM, I don't think the idea is a bust at all. In fact, maybe we'll undertake to find out province-by-province in AL.

I may be a little sensitive on this topic as I'm still suffering sticker shock from buying two new Epis last night. I don't have insurance. Total at my west-end Toronto pharmacy: $212.

At least this time they're good for a full year. Some years I've phoned from pharmacy to pharmacy looking for stock that didn't expire in 7 months.