You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:36 am 

Generally, my epipen is good for 15 months, more or less. It's always good for at least a year, in my experience. Maybe you should change pharmacy, Gwen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:08 am 

Gwen, I usually have to purchase four epi-pens. Two for me, and two for my son. I refuse to buy them if they expire to quickly. I had a problem only once. I went to the pharmacy and they had two in stock - both due to expire in about 7 months. I said I wanted them to order me new ones, which they did. The new ones also expired in about 7 months.

Not all pharmacies are even willing to do that because they take the loss. Apparently they cannot send expired epi's back to the company. My pharmacist is extremely helpful to me though - I helped her plan her daughter's first ever allergen-free birthday party where the birthday girl got to eat ice-cream and cake. :D

I'm hoping that since there is now competition (twin-ject) the company making epi-pens will be more customer friendly. They sure did improve the package.

btw, have you considered the twin-ject? It would provide the two doses, and is close in price to one epi-pen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 pm 

Mine ussually are barely good for a year. I had a Doctor tell me he heard that you can put them in the fridge, his brother is Chemist in a Drugstore. This is to make them last longer. I guess I will have guestion my Drug store about this and my GP.
Thanks you all reminded me to go and get my two epi pens, they expire this month.
I agree they have a monopoly about the Epi pens.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:48 pm 

I spoke with my pharamcist a couple of years ago when he offered me an Epipen that barely had 5 months left... he said that the request for epipens is high in the spring because of people allergic to bees and they only need some that will last them through the summer, so if I go there in the middle of winter, he may have some leftover stock that will not last the 18 months that a brand new Epipen is supposed to last. So now, before I go, I call in a ask him to order me a new one.

Kelly: are your 2 epipens from the same lot with the same expiry date? I always carry 2 but I make sure they are not in the same lot (in case there is a problem like there was a couple of years back) and that they expire a couple of months appart, that way even if I forget, there's always one left ;)

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:15 pm 

Mylene; :D Thanks I forgot about that tip. Mine are from the same bunch.
I have always been afraid to use them for two reasons; I am allergilc to sulphites that are in them , and I hate needles. The Doctor said use it anyways. The last bad reaction I could not remeber how to open my purse. My brain shuts down ! :( I will go uncounious very easily.
My Husband and some close friends have been told about this part of my reactions.
Living down under you had specially trainned Paramedics for ana reactions. So I just carried into Canada that idea and never asked... :oops:
Kelly :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:27 pm 

Gee, I just came from the GP (he handles my allergies for me) . I got my prescription for my two epi pens. Well, the drugstore has to order new ones.
They expire in a month ! :!:
That is really poor service.... There is only one drugstore in the closest town....
My Doctor said no refills if you need to use them I want to see you. At least he is nice, I got in two days.... :)
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:49 pm 

Kelly, do you mean you had to pay for them and they expire in a month? I would hit the roof.

When my epi's expire I just have the pharmacy phone the doctor for a refill prescription. He/she explains that my pens have expired - not used - and the doctor OK's is over the phone so I don't have to go in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 pm 

Anna;
What I meant was that they only had ones that expire in one month, January 2006.
I am to wait until they call me in a couple of days with ones that are not going to expire next month. They did not have any new epi pens and had to order them.
I still have my two that expire in Dec 2004 in my purse.
I am rather mad at the drugstore. :evil:
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:49 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
If you are in Ontario and need to replace your epi-pen, you need to know that you have to see a doctor first.

I have not had that experience. The first time we picked up my son's Epi pen jr. the pharmacist (at one of the Rexall family of pharmacies -- I.D.A., Pharma Plus, Guardian, etc.) was kind enough to tell me that I didn't need a prescription (to avoid the dispensing fee as we don't have a drug plan). We once forgot our son's Epipen jr. while out visiting and I wanted to replace it right away -- I went to the Loblaws pharmacy and when they said we needed a prescription, I went to an I.D.A. and the pharmacist was willing to sell it to me without a prescription. So I don't know if they were doing something illegal or if it depends on pharmacy policy - ??
I too am looking into trying out the Twinject because they give you a double dose for the same cost of a single dose via the Epi pen. Maybe, too, this competition will cause the makers of Epi pen to lower their unreasonable price. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 am 

I'm sure they wouldn't have been doing anything illegal. They have to much to lose for what is really a small sale for them. Now, I'm just totally confused.

Have you checked out the web-site for twinject? It has a short video clip showing how to use it. The first shot is very similar to the epi-pen, but the second shot is manual. I have spoken to my son's principal, letting her know that eventually these would be sent to school by some parents. She says the school will probably only administer the first shot - which is fine with me because the ambulance should be there by the time a second shot is required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:28 pm 

Hi
I had to have my presciption transfered to another drugstore. I went to another and they said, even though I am to Ontario I need the prescription. (These are Rexall )
With all that said I did talk to ana Canada and they told me you do not need a prescription in Ontario. I think they may know.
I transferred all my meds that I take and they ( the old drugstore) mixed that up also. One prescription had 7 refills and when I ordered it they at the new drugstore told me I had 0.
I called my Family Doctor's office about all the problems I had with this situation.
It is not like I have not been taking meds for awhile. I have one prescription I have been on seen I was 13 years old. That is long time ago. I am not the only one having problems with my former drugstore, even Doctors are having problems.

Has anyone ever had a drugstore where you sit with the new prescription in a big baggy and wait for the Druggist to talk to you? I have never seen that before.
As you can tell my Husband and I were very disappointed that our "old drug store" had joined with another and the service was extremmly poor.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:04 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Have you checked out the web-site for twinject? It has a short video clip showing how to use it. The first shot is very similar to the epi-pen, but the second shot is manual.

I had no idea that the second dose was given manually with a syringe...this makes me really nervous. I don't think I'd be in a "calm" state of mind had I had to administer epinephrine at all and to have to worry about knowing how to administer a needle in a crisis is not something I'm feeling comfortable with. Definitely something I'll be thinking more about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Re-raising the original discussion about provinces and whether Epis, Twinjects are OTC ... Alexandre Garcia, the product manager of Twinject, noticed this discussion thread and sent me the following to note to help answer some of these questions:

"One fact that I wanted to clarify is the regulation in regards to the need for prescription to get an auto-injector. In Canada, purchase of epinephrine auto-injectors (Twinject & EpiPen) does not require any prescription.
Epinephrine injectors are listed as a Schedule 2 drug in Canada. The rational for having this drug as non-prescription is as follows: The drug must be readily available under exceptional circumstances when a prescription is not practical. Such a drug might be required for a serious medical situation and the patient should have access to it to prevent a possible health emergency. An example of such an exceptional circumstance is availability of injectable epinephrine for anaphylactic reactions.

Prescriptions are only needed if the patient wants to get reimbursed [under a health plan].

I think it is important that consumers have the right information. In that aspect it would be great if you could update the Forum regarding this issue. See the references below.

Regards,
Alexandre Garcia

Schedule II

1. The drugs and medicines in this Schedule are the drugs listed from time to time in Schedule II of the National Drug Schedules, which are part of Canada's National Drug Scheduling System published by the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities, as that Schedule is from time to time amended.

2. (1) The drugs and medicines listed in this Schedule do not require a prescription as a condition of sale, but are only available from a pharmacist or a certified dispenser and must be kept within an area of the pharmacy to which there is no public access and no opportunity for self- selection.

(2) The direct involvement and professional intervention from a pharmacist or certified dispenser is required prior to the release of the drug to the patient or the patient's agent.

3. The drugs and medicines in this Schedule must be sold in accordance with the standards of practice from time to time approved by the Council.

http://www.ocpinfo.com/client/ocp/OCPHo ... pinephrine

Last edited by gwentheeditor on Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Admin

edited - for some reason, msg. duplicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 pm 

Thank you very much Gwen and Alexandre. It makes complete sense the way you've explained it. :)