You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Would you skin test?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm 

My daughter is 14 months old, and has a confirmed allergy to dairy, egg, beef (exposure history/RAST confirmed/skin test), her RAST scores for peanut were also over 25, but to date, no exposure reaction to peanut confirmed to date (and we eat peanut butter here frequently, though we take precautions afterwards). She was not tested for tree nuts, either blood test or skin prick, the allergist says we might as well wait till she's around 5 to test her for that, but to assume she's allergic to tree nuts.

I'm having a hard time finding some foods for her, and was wondering what you would do in this case. I found some icing that is "manufactured on the same equipment as products containing tree nuts", but is otherwise free of her allergens. I was thinking of doing a home test, putting some on her skin and seeing if there is a reaction, then putting some on her lip, then doing a "mini-challenge" at home. She is hyper-reactive to her allergens on skin, so I assume she would react on her skin first if there was going to be any reaction at all, and would do it over several days. Of course I know this wouldn't tell me she isn't allergic to nuts, it's possible she is and the product just didn't contain traces enough to make her react, and i'd have to be careful each time, but i was wondering if anyone else would try it or just take the allergists word that there "may be an allergy".

We were told that we could take this approach when introducing new foods to her to make sure there are no new allergies, so could I technically treat this in the same manner?

Post subject: Re: Would you skin test?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Our allergist will not test until the has been a reaction. We avoided peanut/treenuts until she was 5 and introduced a piece of walnut...she reacted. Because it had a warning that it may have contained peanuts and treenuts, he had to test them all-she was allergic.

It was a bummer but, by then we were used to avoiding these so it wasn't a big hardship, just business as usual.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Re: Would you skin test?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 pm 

I would be anxious to know, too, because if there's no need to avoid, that's a lot of food that says may contains TN that she could otherwise. Some people who are PA also avoid 'may contain TN' because TN by themselves are generally a may contain for peanuts. However, even if you aren't intending to give her TN, it's good to know how careful you need to be when eating them yourself or around other people eating TN.

I don't know what I would do, but I would maybe talk to the allergist and explain the situation (having to avoid another may contain with the number of foods you are already avoiding is challenging) and ask again for a skin test in the office. I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea of testing at home, but I've heard of people doing their own tests in hospital parking lots.