You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:43 pm 

We had the appt, and I wasn't happy with it. First of all it was the OTHER Dr at the clinic (after waiting a YEAR to see a specific Dr, I didn't know there was another Dr...), and I found him somewhat impatient and quite condescending. He was surprised we had a bracelet for DS, perhaps he doesn't realize it's been A YEAR since the incident?

Also, I mentioned that we all have some hayfever etc, but easily managed by the occasional use of antihistamines, he was very 'upset' about it and prescribed 2 nose drops (1 steroid) and an eye drop. He also raised his eyebrows when I said we had pets in the house, and talked about how it's bad for the nasal passages etc.

He wants bloodwork done annually, but doesn't like that our small city (a few hours away) sends bloodwork to Edmonton, so he wants us to go to the Calgary Childrens hospital 2-3 months before his next appt.

He was + for peanut, nothing else. But the Dr suspects that in a few years he'll start to test + for various trees & animals, and was talking about allergy shots or 'other options' (I don't know what he meant, get rid of animals? Stay indoors?).

Everyone I know who uses nose drops is practically addicted to them, their noses run ALL THE TIME and they are always reaching for them.

I think it's overkill, and was really disappointed in the visit. We were about 30 mins early, since we drove from 200+km away. The woman at the front desk said we could 'go to Subway since it's so early' (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

The young nurse spent more time with us than the Dr, and when I mentioned something about making everything from scratch she said 'well you have to, since any exposure can be DEADLY'.

As for sibs, they are willing to do skin tests, but I wasn't clear if he thought it was necessary or not (which has been a big concern). He said they have a 15% chance of having a food allergy, I don' t know how that compares to the rest of the population. I would need a new referral for them.

They also made him do a breathing test, since I have asthma. The woman was in a hurry and kind of impatient, he didn't do well (wouldn't exhale for 3 seconds straight), so it was kind of stressful. If I KNEW he was going to do one I could have worked on it ahead of time.

I don't know what to do next. I'm glad we have confirmation of peanut and that nothing else showed up, but I don't know if I'm prepared to follow up with this clinic, Maybe next year, but certainly not annually, not if it means a trip to the hospital a few months before for bloodwork, and regular use of nose & eye drops to prevent mild hayfever.

As for the peanut allergy, his whorl was 4+ and RAST over 100. He said it could drop off by the time he's a teen. So I don' t know why we wouldn't retest in a few years and go from there?

Maybe I'm overreacting, I'm going to book an appt with my Dr to talk about things. What do you think? Does any of this sound familiar?

He basically indicated that inflammation in the nasal passages causes increased development of allergies, and leaves the body more susceptible to becoming allergic to env. factors. Use of steroids will lessen the likelihood of developing these allergies. DS is not terribly allergic, he shows mild symptoms during some seaons and his eyes sometimes water a little if it's very dry & windy. He has shown no signs of asthma, and rarely has a runny nose or cough.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Becky on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:24 pm 

Becky I am so sorry for such a disheartening visit with your allergist. Our allergist has never mentioned putting our son on any sterioids or nasal drops and he can hardly go outside in the summer without getting a rash/hayfever symptoms and wheezing. We just saw our allergist and he said the singular and a daily Reactin is fine this year (he was too young last year). I would hate to put a child (in my opinion) on any medications that they don't fully require. I would trust your gut on that one.
As far as your reception from the office staff/allergist that is NOT the norm. Our allergist is always super busy and on go go go mode but he is never rude and answers my questions fully so I don't leave not sure what he meant or was implying. That is so unfortunate for your family to have had such an experience especially as I'm sure you were very anxious to finally have this visit....let alone your drive.
In my opinion if there was any other option I would look into finding another allergist.
The good news is that no further allergies showed.... :swing !! That is huge!! And from one allergic mom to another, cooking from scratch is a huge deal and we aren't looking for sympathy when we tell people, we just are trying to emphasize how much effort we put into keeping our children safe. You are doing an awesome job, I remember when you first logged on and were as frantic as I was the first time I logged on. :lol:

Hugs :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 pm 

That seems horrible to me how the allergist brushed you off like that! I didn't like our first allergist that we saw, so I asked my pediatrician for another referral, and when I explained why, she completely agreed. He wasn't willing to explain anything or give us any adivce, and was horrible at listening (not to mention he spoke not a word of english - i'm billingual, but i prefer english). We waited a while for our appointment, but when we went, we were quie pleased with the answers we got and the plan they had come up with for our daughter (skin test every 6 months - blood test if the skin test shows a change - food challenge if the score is low enough). She answered all my questions, and didn't rush me. It was great. Sure, I got in over 1 hour after my appointment time because they were running behind, but I didn't mind because they didn't rush us through. It actually turns out the first doc wasn't really an allergist, just a pediatrician that hospital uses for allergy tests. Boy was I pleased that I second guessed that and stuck to my guns.

As for those nose drops/eye drops - i'd go with your gut on that one. When I was a kid, they prescribed the nose steroids and I could never take them, it made my nose run all the time, which was worse than it being stuffed up! As for eye drops, everyone I know that uses them uses them WAY too often, like ti makes their eyes forget how to produce tears on its own, although i don't know about the medicated ones. Oh, and i've never been a fan of allergists that automatically recommend no pets for allergic kids, there are ways to make it work. Our allergist explained that our daughter had tested positive for dogs and because his food also contained allergens, it wwas making the situation worse. She gave us tips and tricks on making it safe for her, but in the end, for her comfort we deicided it wasn't time for a dog for us sadly and rehomed our Newfoundland, and since then her eczema has cleared up very well. It wouldn't be the case for everyone, but until she is much older, we wont be introducing any petts except goldfish (maybe).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 pm 

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to sleep on it and talk it over with our family doctor. I'm just surprised that the allergist wants to be so proactive, given there was NO REACTION WHATSOEVER to any animal or env. allergen. I'm just really shocked, I was prepared to potentially deal with new food allergies/concerns, but this has thrown me for a loop.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:52 pm 

Becky,

I definitely know what it's like to have a bad experience with an allergist. After I left the children's hospital, it took me 5 tries until I found the right one for me.

If you want a different option than the nose drops, I would recommend a Neti Pot. It is my new best friend, it's easy to use and completely safe since it's only warm water and salt. It's a great way of keeping the inside of the nose clean, even from airborne danders so there will never be anything stuck in there to get the nose inflammed. And if there's no inflammation, no post-nasal drip. Anyways, I know you don't really need it but if it was something you wanted to do as a preventative measure, I highly recommend it.

Here's a link on what it is and how it works:http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Netipot/NetiPotGateway.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion, I am intrigued by the netti pot, but am not sure if it would be easy to get a young child to use one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:45 pm 

So sorry to hear about your experience. Seems to be the norm in the Calgary area though.

As for the Neti Pot - did they not suggest a saline rinse along with the steroid drops? I'm a pharmacist, and it's pretty standard procedure to use a saline rinse for all those with allergies. However, if your son doesn't yet have any symptoms yet, I'm not sure I'd bother. It does take several years for those allergies to manifest, and sometimes the Total IgE is a clue to the doctors that they are coming in a young child. My son is 9 now, and at 5 he wasn't very strongly reactive, and had a bit of a runny nose in the summer, but within a few years he was skin-testing positive for everything. We have him on a saline spray (he would not do any kind of neti pot), followed be the steroid nasal sprays. He NEVER, ever has a runny nose. He still skin tests strongly positive, but never shows symptoms. His total IgE is coming down though, so the doctor thinks he might be growing our of his environmental allergies. I much prefer the nasal sprays over daily antihistamines because they are localized dosages (therefore miniscule), and are therefore less likely to cause side effects.

Also, the neti pot has been much improved upon, and I rarely recommend them now - even the makers of the neti pots recommend the squeeze bottles now if you can use them. Their own literature compares it to dumping a bucket of water on your car to wash it versus using a power hose. The spray bottles are easier, do not rely on gravity or special technique to use them successfully, and are much more effective. I would compare the feeling you get from them as similar to falling unexpectedly into the ocean - you get all the salt water up your nose and then end up draining on the beach for the next hour! Great, natural way to clear up the sinuses! NeilMed's Sinus Rinse is probably the most popular, and Rhinaris just came out with one that's premixed (handy, but expensive...)

You might want to follow through at least next year and give him another chance. The asthma testing is really tough to do on kids less than 6 or 7 - my own son couldn't get it right until he was about 7 (am I'm a Certified Asthma Educator!), and then they could draw definite conclusions. There is a new pediatric allergist coming to Calgary (a lady) and setting up shop at the Children's Hospital in a month or two, so there will be at least a new option to try if you choose.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Wow, sorry you had such a bad experience. Lots of good advice has been given. Follow your instincts but give it a year as Momtobunches suggests, a lot can happen in a year.

Meanwhile, don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions such as Why introduce allergy shots for allergies that haven't manifested yet? Does he have evidence that this would avoid them? It seems like a money maker for the allergist and little benefit for your son!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am 

Susan, he was talking about the possibility of shots in the future, if the allergies increase. I will try again next year, and am meeting with our family Dr next week. If we are in Calgary for holidays or something this year I may go to a lab for bloodwork as a baseline, but can't see making a special trip a monht or so before an appt just for bloodwork, when it can be drawn here.

momtobunches, thanks so much for all of the information! I really appreciate it. He did suggest a saline spray as well, to us as a rinse. Interesting about the pattern of allergies in your son, (not showing, then getting worse, and now subsiding a little), that's exactly what happened with me, although it was without treatments, other than a humidifier. I would like to prevent DS from suffering from env. allergies, but it's hard to know if he will or not. His dad doesn't react to anything, ever, and I'm hoping my kids are more like him. If we treat proactively and he doesn't develop bad hayfever we won't know if it's because of the treatment or it's just how he is. I don't want to give him medication unnecessarily.

One more question, I requested a copy of the results from the skin tests, and was surprised that out of 64 spots, only 8 for for foods (peanut and tree nuts), and the rest were for env, allergies. Food is MUCH more of a concern for me, and with peanuts being a legume I'm surprised that things like peas & beans weren't tested for (I KNEW I'd forget to ask about something!!). Is this the norm for a skin test panel??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:02 pm 

UPDATE:

Well, I had the follow up appt at my regular Dr and it went well. I feel that we are on the same page. He was surprised that so much was done (skin test and prescription wise) for env. allergies, when DS shows mild symptoms if any. And how little was done for food testing (just peanuts & tree nuts). He showed me the letter from the clinic which in one part reads that we should not acquire any animals and that if exposure to an animal is unavoidable then an antihistamine should be taken. We have a dog and cat - who DS does not react to. We do keep them out of the kids bedrooms. It also says to completely avoid peanuts, tree nuts & soy (even though he told me that we could reintroduce TNs - although I won't at this time) and soy was NEVER discussed or tested for. I said I was sure the had been exposed to it in other foods without problem. ???

As for the peanut bloodwork, he also agreed that going to Calgary isn't necessary and he has never heard of it before. I told him that the allergist said that he is looking for a trend, I will continue to have it done here, if it shows a marked decrease I can follow up with the children's hopsital lab for better (?) numbers.

Our regular Dr also felt that for reg/mild hayfever symptoms occasional antihistamine use was completely appropriate. And that the agressive use of prescription eye and nose drops was probably not necessary at this time.

Not sure what to do about follow up appts. We will most likely be seeing an allergist again at some point, but should we be looking for another one? I can't see going back to the same one and saying 'we didn't follow any of your advice, but here we are'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm 

Wow, what a lot for you to take in. I think your family Dr. sounds like he is on the same page as you and I think would encourage and help to refer you to find a different allergist.
The soy thing is odd. I would imagine if you have a soy allergy it is near impossible to avoid as so many foods contain soy. So by that token, would your son not by default ingest small amount of soy in almost everything he eats??? If he doesn't react then why avoid it??? That eliminates a huge amount of food. It is almost as if he wrote that on the wrong patients file :scratchy

I am glad that your visit with your family dr. was positive. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 pm 

I think the tree nuts/soy was a cut and paste from a standard form or the previous letter. I don't think it applies to DS, but does a good example to showing how disappointing/confusing our appt was.

Same for the paragraph that starts by saying he should not be around dogs & cats (although skin & blood are -ve), or should take a preventative antihistamine if he will be around them, but later says that there is 1 cat & 1 dog in the house and he doesn't react to them. SO CONFUSING!!! And of course, if I want clarification, I probably have to wait a year. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Great feedback for your family Dr to consider when making referrals!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb