You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:10 pm 

(sorry for starting so many topics, our recent visit has me thinking of so many things and I'm back to having a lot of questions)

Once anaphylaxis is confirmed, just wondering how often retesting is usually done?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:31 pm 

Hi Becky, from our experience once a year our allergist does the full panel of skin pricks. However, we have seen our allergist many times a year the past 2 years due to other more specific issues which arise. At those visits we only deal with what is a problem/issue at that time.
Our son has had two sets of blood work done so far. I think that might differ from allergist to allergist, patient to patient. Your allergist may not check every food allergy each time. I know many other's have been dealing with allergies for many years so they might have better info for you. :D

...and I don't think we can ever have too many questions when it comes to the safety of our kids (and our sanity as allergic parents) :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Admin

We see our daughter's allergist once a year. He tests for the allergens which he hopes she's out growing and any new ones that we suspect she's developed. He talks to us about the latest therapies (do we/he think it's right for her?) and we discuss her asthma (better/worse/no change?)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:33 am 

We used to see the allergist once per year, but now that our son is getting older, we go every 18 months - 2 years. We are welcome to return at any time if we want to test for something new.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:19 am 

We did yearly until approx age 5 - then every other year till now. DS just turned 18 and will probably not bother checking again for a few years as there have been basically no changes for the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm 

Our allergist is seeing our daughter every 6 months for scratch tests. I guess that's because she's hoping to see big changes soon, but probably not (we've only been once so far, so the frequency may change soon). Bloodwork she said only when the skin tests come back showing change at her age.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm 

We're once a year as well. At each appointment, he gives us a requisition for next year's bloodwork, to be completed about a month before the appointment. This past year, he noticed a significant drop in the nut RAST, and combined with a negative skin test, he suggested that we do an oral challenge on walnut (which we did, and proved that my son is still strongly allergic). The first set of results is used kind of as a baseline I think, then year over year they compare to get a picture of what is happening. When my son's total IgE was really high, he was put on full-time Nasonex and Flovent. The next year, the total IgE was down quite a bit, suggesting that the meds are keeping those pesky allergens at bay, and giving us "hope" that his allergies would continue on a downward trend. His skin tests were postive for over 30 things 2 years ago, and only about 15 this year. So that's why they continue to order the tests - so see what the trend is. We were also told that if his milk RAST did not show any signs of declining (still > 100), then he might switch us to every 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am 

Thanks so much for all of the information, I really appreciate it!

momtobunches, I appreciate your detailed information, it sounds similar to the plan our Dr wants to start us on. I have read a lot about RAST testing (& have a background in microbiology/immunoligy), and the results show the amount of IgE in currently the bloodstream (not in the bone marrow), and can't indicate the severity of a future reaction. With DS being strongly allergic to Peanuts, I think we would continue to be ultra careful, even if the numbers dropped tothe double or single digits.

It's a lot to think about, I don't want to sound lazy, but my reaction would be different if the skin test/bloodwork could be done locally. We do travel to Calgary somewhat regularly, but for holiday/fun purposes. I don't want to cloud that by trips to the Dr or hospital tied to most visits. DS is young and can be anxious etc...I might feel differently when he's older.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:18 am 

This just occurred to me - we dont' live in Calgary either, but our local lab does take Calgary Lab Services requisitions, so we don't ever get the bloodwork done in Calgary. Maybe your local lab will do them and you won't have to go in just for the bloodwork?