You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm 

In the research I've done since starting to work here, I've heard everything from "eat honey!" to "have a spinal adjustment!" to "wear a magnet bracelet!" suggested as a way to treat/cure allergies. Good lord.

What's the weirdest thing you've heard?

What's the most far-fetched thing you've tried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:36 pm 

Does this mean you've been editing out the troll posts before I even see them?

I guess the most far-fetched idea I've ever wanted to try was to just walk around with my own little IV bottle. When I didn't know what was causing my reactions, and I was getting hives every day, I was just so exhausted. (Hives can be physically draining, and when you add benedryl it was just overwhelming.) I really just wanted my doctor to give me an IV bottle, and let me have some rest from it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:21 pm 

Someone I know visit's a naturopath for some of her allergies (none of which are anaphylactic) and she said (and swears by) the naturopath has her hold vials containing the allergen for a specified period of time, increasing the time each visit, and this will cure her allergies. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:36 pm 

Please remind your friend that when she is *cured* she should go to her allergist and get re-tested. I mean, if she's really cured, it'll show up on the test right. :)

I was just searching for a site I previously went to that debunk's a lot of the *cures* available. Unfortunately the site hasn't been updated in a few years, so it's not really of value. A lot of the links on it were dead ends too. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

I hate nuts, I've heard of that one too! But I heard of an adut lying down and having the child lay on tp and the parent hoding vias and based on the arm swaying this indicated the childs allergy :roll: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:39 pm 

Susan! HA! That's how I was tested for allergies as a kid. SO DUMB.

AnneMarie! No no I've not seen that kind of thing said here, just in my other allergy travels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.napsnet.com/articles/60497.html
Quote:
It's a state-of-the-art laser technology used by trained practitioners at AllergiCare Relief Centers across the country. It's noninvasive and once successfully treated, patients can recommence contact with the substance that had previously caused the allergic reaction or sensitivity.

If you want to waste the time to follow the lead to the company you'll find that they promise the moon and show no scientific evidence to suport their claims.
I have sent this in the past to Dr Stephen Barrett of qwackwatch and to FAAN because it's based in the USA.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

John Hopkins University offers this on evaluating internet information
http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:47 am 

Before we had to deal wtih allergies to nuts and peanuts it was just fruits and veggies. A cook came to our table after our meal one time and gave me her number so I could call her about this fabulous computer from Japan that my daughter would just have to go on it and would be cured of her allergies. It only cost a few thousand...

I smiled politely and threw her number away on my way out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:12 pm 

Audra wrote:
What's the most far-fetched thing you've tried?

I learned about NAET from this forum. We decided to try it, because we figured we had nothing to lose except $$, and at the very least, DS's 'bubble would expand in that at least he'd have a person other than his immediate family to have social contact with. It's a long, slow process, and we're still on it.

We've seen awesome results for both asthma and allergies. Might be coincidence, but I don't feel so. We've successfully knocked things off our allergy list. A little while ago I posted DS's RAST scores so you can see he's a pretty allergic kid. Since then ND treated for and was successful in 'clearing' chickpea and lentil allergy. Coincidence? Maybe. Passage of time? Possibly. I don't really care what 'caused' the healing, I'm just so ecstatic that we're moving forward. Still 'bubble living', as there are many more severe allergies on our list.

PS I hope I'm not offending anyone by sharing my NAET story. I know there are a lot of people on the forum who would rather hear that it is a bunch of quackery that doesn't work. We found a great practitioner and we're pretty happy with our experience.

PPS Here's a story to show how DS used to react to lentils/chickpeas: the last time we walked into my aunt's house, she was pressure cooking lentils. Within seconds of being in the house he had to be removed, face full of hives, coughing, sniffling etc. He wasn't even in there long enough to touch anything. Re: chickpeas, we learned about DS's chickpea allergy when he used to break out in hives if he got a 'chickpea kiss'. We are now regularly cooking both chickpeas, dried beans, lentils and legumes in the house. No reactions - not even a teeny, weeny little hive. And that is pretty awesome for us!
:D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:01 pm 

We also have been going through a natural treatment very similar to NAET and the lady who gives the treatments is a certified nutritionist. We have had success with treating seasonal allergies but it's such a great way for us to get inspired to eat healthier. She has greatly reduced my daughters intake of sugar and I'm happy we go because I do believe the whole family is healthier because of her nutrional advice she gives and if she can cure some allergies that'll of course be of great benefit also. I try to be open minded while remaining cautious.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Admin

In an unrelated article,
Quote:
Some food allergies can be outgrown. Studies have shown that the severity of food allergies can change throughout a person’s life.
“There is no cure for food allergies,” says Stefano Luccioli, M.D., senior medical advisor in the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Office of Food Additive Safety (OFAS). “The best way for consumers to protect themselves is by avoiding food items that will cause a reaction.” OFAS is part of FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN).

http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/a ... -allergies

There may be some benefits in some circumstances to naturopathic treatments, but at Allergic Living, the opinion is that too much of the "alternative" advice in allergy is not science-based and has the potential to be harmful if not deadly to those with allergic conditions, which are diseases of the immune system.

As we say in the Intolerances sticky of this forum, intolerances may be discussed in that thread, but we will not be weighing the pros and cons of naturopathic medicine on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 am 

Oops, I guess I'm going to the Principal's Office. :oops: :) I'll try to remember this isn't an open forum.

I do want to thank the Allergic Living (Science-Based) Gods/Goddesses :wink: for allowing that one post way back when about NAET treatment because it did change our lives in a positive way. In fact, it is essentially helped me give my son a life. DS is off all his daily asthma medications and he's not using antihistamines daily. And, - sorry pharmaceutical industry and pharma-friends - now that he's off all his allopathic medications, he is finally acting and feeling like a real human being.

"Anectodal" for everyone else, but real for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad your son is doing better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 pm 

Thanks for saying that, Susan! We're glad too. :D