You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:23 pm 

Hello everyone!
As an aspiring writer, I have finally decided to take things into my own hands and put out a small book that I am putting together and printing on my own. It is about food allergies, but mostly what it's really like to live with them. It's something I have been wanting to write for a long time but when the Chatelaine article was released this year, I think it really fueled my creative juices. I have other projects I am working on as well but this is the only allergy related one.

It is going to be short, like a condensed campbell's soup version of what it's like to live in our shoes. I also looked into common misconceptions about allergies and the emotional effects that go with livin with life-threatening allergies, all spoken from my point of view.

If you have any subject matter that you think people need to know about, I would love to hear it. My target audience is mostly people who know nothing about allergies but also the allergic community. I want it to be something that you, as a person with allergies or parent of a child with allergies can feel proud of, knowing that it is helping to educate others. Depending on the final price for printing, I'm thinking I will sell copies at around $15-$20. Also, I have decided that at least half of the money from each book will go to Anaphylaxis Canada. I am open to other suggestions for who to donate that half to but I thought that they were a good option since they are really into advocacy and research and putting out educational programs.

Thanks and looking forward to your responses :)
Lisa

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:29 pm 

Lisa, I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful idea your book is, I am even more impressed you will donate proceedes towards charity. I'd love a condensed book on allergies to be able to give family etc.. A run down on what allergies are, how 'real' they are. Kind of like an 'allergy book for dummies'. I think people constantly confuse intolerances with allergies.
I'm sure there will be tons of input from the forum for your book. :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 am 
Site Admin

As a mom, my biggest concern is the psychosocial aspects of severe allergies.

For an allergic reaction: I have a list of symptoms to look for and an action plan to follow (meds, 911, transport to hospital, supervise for 8 hours).

I am constantly worried and on the look out for those situations that may make my child feel inferior. I know it's often meant to keep her safe but...
sitting alone at lunch, told to stay home from school on days of celebrations, having to eat different snacks than everyone else, not being invited to parties, being used as the reason why everyone can't have a certain treat (this is not always just school, it can be family events) and not knowing anyone else who has severe allergies, these are the things that bother me most.

How to combat this? That is what I'd like to see.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:11 am 

BC, you took the words out of my mouth. It is totally meant to be an "allergy book for dummies" type of thing. I would love for it to be the type of thing you can give family and friends so that they can easily understand our lives a little (or a lot) better. I have addressed the difference between intolerance and allergy.

Susan, the psychological aspect is something I personally wanted/needed to address because I don't think anyone without allergies gets that part since they don't live with it. Writing it has definitely been cathartic and I will probably add in some more stuff since you agree it is an important issue to address.

Thank you so much for the feedback so far. I will take it and run with it.
Any more suggestions?