You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Atypical Anaphylaxis?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am 

I've read about the closing throats and hives all my life...and since neither of these ever happens to me I've considered allergies more of an annoyance then a threat.

The thing is there are several other things on the list of anaphylactic reactions...and I my allergic experiance is textbook for a rapid drop in blood preasure.

Is this really anaphylaxis? The substance is question is airbourne. Is it possible for a reaction of this nature to eventually resolve without an epi pen/hospital if you can end the exposure? I.E. is the main reason food anaphylaxis requires a hospital (my understanding is it does..is that correct?) that the substance remains in your body causing further exposure?

I'm honestly asking these questions and re-evaluating whether just trying to avoid this stuff/leave anywhere it is present is enough.

I think one of my greatest fears is somehow being trapped by a crowd or something, collapsing while still being exposed...and having my blood preasure just keep falling and falling until (gulp) while no one even realizes that step one is ending the exposure.

The very thought is terrifying.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hi there,

I don't have any answers, but my first thought when reading your post was to talk about these questions with your allergist. Is he/she a good resource for you? There are some health lines that may have an allergy-aware nurse that could also help. We have a 'dial a dietician' service in our province and just found out there is a nurse there who is well versed on allergies. Is there something similar where you are?

Do you carry an epipen? Does it/would it provide some peace of mind for situations when you are unable to leave a situation with airborne allergens?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter has had several anaphylaxic reaction, each one requiring an Epipen and a tri[p to the hospital. (it's when we discover a new allergen :roll: )

Sometimes her reactions are of the facial swelling, closed airway variety, sometimes her eyes swell up like tennis balls, sometimes she gets a slight swelling on a portion of her lip and rapid drop in blood pressure. Anaphylaxis is anything but typical. Each reaction takes it's own course and it can vary even within reactions to the same allergen for the same person.

You can not trust that reactions will be the same as last time or that you'll get a familiar tingle on the tongue to indicate the food contains your allergens. If you react to an item, avoid it. Find out what ingredients are in it and see a professional who specializes in allergies.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:58 am 

I wish I had an allergist...screwed up US healthcare system (sigh) and Mom never getting her children formally tested. She had scratch tests and allergy shots as a child and assumed we had milder versions (since we were nursed) of the exact same allergies...not a useful assumption.

I've done a fair bit of informal testing...mostly to eliminate things my brother and I just are not allergic to even if she is and OTC allergy meds do help for the everyday stuff...or once far away from "the mystery allergen"

I don't know if there is a help line anywhere near me...its something to search for that I hadn't thought of at least.

I don't have an epi pen but I must admit having one or at least a proper med alert(if I knew what to put on it) would set my mind at ease. I've always kinda known this reaction could be dangerous but I've never thought of it as anaphylaxis before the idea was suggested to me. It was like getting hit with a bucket of ice water

Michele
(posting from mobile phone)

Alison's Mom wrote:
Hi there,

I don't have any answers, but my first thought when reading your post was to talk about these questions with your allergist. Is he/she a good resource for you? There are some health lines that may have an allergy-aware nurse that could also help. We have a 'dial a dietician' service in our province and just found out there is a nurse there who is well versed on allergies. Is there something similar where you are?

Do you carry an epipen? Does it/would it provide some peace of mind for situations when you are unable to leave a situation with airborne allergens?