You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 am 

We have been looking online and calling scuba stores all over trying to find a waterproof container for the NEW epipen. I can't find anything that would work. The old protective tube lists on Anaphylaxis Canada that it does not fit the new epipen.
We went to Mountain Equipment Co-op and went through every waterproof container/bag they carry and nothing is suitable. We want it in a case so I can just wear the pen in order to go back to the waterslides. You can't take a hard case so those little box style ones won't work. We tried bags but they are all too bulky and camera type waterproof containers aren't long enough.

What are others using....besides a zip lock bag? I hate to take a chance on it leaking and then ruining the pen.
Suggestions!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:56 pm 

When I was at MEC looking for a case to take swimming, in addition to the Pelican hard plastic case, I was considering this http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302700593

I think this was the only size/shape that would fit an epipen. I'm almost 100% certain that I could fit two of the new style epipens in there, or at least I eyeballed it and the case was long and wide enough to fit 2 units.

Alternatively, if you use a few of the thicker freezer type ziplocs, you would lessen the chance of puncturing through the bag? I thought about wrapping up the epis in a few bags, then getting a thick elastic band around them to attach a string.

Another option would be to use twinject for this type of outing as it would fit in the protectube?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 pm 

Before we went to Great Wolf Lodge, I went to an independent camping/outdoor store and bought a waterproof "fanny" type pouch. It worked great. It is a soft pouch and had a strong belt. It fit 2 epipens no problem and once I had it on I really didn't find it bulky and even forgot about it at times. The company name on it is Chinook Technical Outdoor. A search online might give you a clue as to where to find it locally. It worked well for us in the waterpark.
Good luck.
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 pm 

Here is a link I found: http://www.chinooktec.com/Chinook_Cat_2009.pdf
I believe that we have the waist pouch on p. 52 (at the bottom).
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:00 am 

Thank you so much for the replies. I knew someone on this forum would have a link or a great idea :banana

Katec,
Thanks, this site never came up in all our searches. Did you actually use the fanny pack submerged in the water? At the waterpark there is a wave pool DS loved but he liked to go out to where I was up past my waist (holding him). So far all water packs we found were ok if dropped in the water and then scooped out but not if in the water for a long period of time?

....we just looked up a couple more scuba sites and learned that there are levels for waterproof. We need level 4 or 5. The higher the number the longer/deeper it is able to go underwater. Level 3 means it can get wet or submerged but only for a few minutes or it will start to leak.
Hopefully protectatube comes out with a new product ASAP!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am 

I don't what the rating is for this waist pack. We were submerged with it for period of time - in a wave pool and in other pools in the waterpark at Great Wolf Lodge - and the epipens were always dry. There must be some camping stores in Ottawa that would sell specialized gear like this.
Good luck!
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:07 am 

That sounds like it should work then as we are using it for a similar purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm 

I was looking for awareness posters for the school, and just came across this: http://www.onespotallergy.com/Waterproo ... sa0030.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm 

We have successfully used this Splash Caddy together with the waterproof/heavy duty bags similar to ziplocs:

Splash Caddy and Splash Caddy Replacement Liner http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety__ ... V834?Args=
http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety__ ... 834R?Args=

The key is the waterproof bags as long as you zip them properly and don't check them while near the water ( :banghead 'double-checked' them and didn't rezip properly and that was the only time they got wet). After that mistake, we doublebagged the epis and kept them dry through water rafting and a week of water parks. I also put in a small thermometer (keychain camping one). For the water parks, I had the epis doublebagged and then had a separate ziploc for my cash and credit card.

The splash caddy was useful because it fits the bags and wasn't cumbersome but could definitely use something else.

I've since used the liners for a cell phone in a sports bag in the rain :)

If anyone does buy from Magellan's I strongly recommend checking out their Lights Out Sleep Mask --- I got mine last year and got tired of sharing and ordered them for the whole family. Between the Splash Caddy and the Sleep Masks it made our vacation much nicer. And no, I don't work for Magellan's!