You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 pm 

I know quite a few parents of peanut/tree nut allergic kids who had skin testing done after a reaction and said that the whorl was not severe (1-2?), and so they are good with 'may contains' and go to places like Tim Hortons & Dairy Queen, because they aren't 'very allergic'.

:shock:

After much reading, I have learned that the skin test result is reported in % chance of having a reaction and is not predictive of the severity of a future reaction (which can change anyhow).

I absolutely won't/don't tell people what to feed their kids, since everyone has to do what's comfortable for them. My own Dr said that it was probably ok to consume foods we had consumed in the past (Timbits etc..), but I absolutely won't risk it.

What do you think of 'a little bit allergic'?

Last edited by Becky on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 pm 

for us-given we get many false positives-the only reactions we actually treat (ie with avoidance) are real life ones-so if we have a suspected allergic reaction to say peanut and spt confirms this we then avoid. If it were boarderline positive it would be challenged under medical supervison. If we have something come up that has never had a 'real life reaction' then that is challenged in the drs rooms (with med equipment available) and then consumed at home if there is no reaction.
Allergy testing is only helpful when used in conjunction with the individual circumstances and history. It has to be looked at and managed as a whole and individually suited to the person's specific circumstances and reactions.
caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm 

Thanks for your reply, I changed my original post to state that a reaction to the food had been observed, which led to testing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Reactions to peanuts are often more severe than to other foods. Very minute quantities of peanut, when ingested, can result in a life-threatening reaction. Peanut has been a leading cause of severe, life-threatening, and even fatal allergic reactions.

Peanut allergy requires stringent avoidance and management plans as it is one of the most common food allergies in children, adolescents, and adults.

http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... atsubid=35

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:15 pm 

Thanks for the post Susan. I realize not everyone is going to be hypervigilant (paranoid?) like I am, but I feel like when parents tell teachers 'Molly can have Timbits or grocery store cupcakes since she's only a little allergic to peanuts' it undermines those of us who have an ONLY FOOD FROM HOME policy. To me, a little bit allergic is like a little bit pregnant. Even if a child had a mild rash from first exposure to peanut butter (than confirmed + with follow up tests), I think going to a chinese buffet is like playing russian roulette. But that's just my opinion.