You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy Identification
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:12 pm 

Does anyone have any info regarding identification of a life threatening allergy(penicillian) for a construction worker who is unable to wear a bracelet or necklace....I already thought of a tatoo!
Seriously, any info or experiences would be helpful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 pm 

Is he able to wear a sports wristband (like the tennis players)? MedicAlert now has one available with the MedicAlert symbol:

http://www.medicalert.ca/en/members/pro ... d=2&p=M601

It is intended to be worn overtop of a medicalert, but maybe it could be worn over a tatoo?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm 

Good idea... If you cut the back and sew on velcro then it wouldn't be a safety hazard and would pull off if ever stuck or hooked on something.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:55 pm 

O.K. I can never seem to find what I am looking for here. I know somewhere I talked about buying a medic bracelette from a jewelers and stop wearing the one from Medic Allert. Everyone I have purchased from medic allert have tarnished and I think looks like garbage. (I have even had one re-plated) I was just at the jewelers today and they have two that I think are O.K. One has a medic logo but it is so small that I really cant make out what it is but the plate is quite large I could write a novel on the back. The other one is really not really a medic bracelette so I wonder if it would be sufficient. It has a large name plate that I could write plenty on. Would a paramedic look on the back of this???
Also how about if I just put in large letters EPI-PEN Do I really need to list everyting?
If I do go to get one of these I do want to decide as they are 40% off :happydance Good price but I still want to make the right decision as it is still not free and I would want to make sure it would be life saving for me.
What do ya think??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 am 

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201011 ... os-101114/
Hi paige H, I think this has an opinion of a EMS guy in it and as a "regular Joe on the street" I would look for the regular symbol that we are used to seeing.
Quote:
Everyone I have purchased from medic allert have tarnished

They must have changed. We have the same one (gold) since DD was 3 and it's still shiny like new although we have gotten the holes built up and a new chain. Safety 1st! :thumbsup Hope you find something you like.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Admin

What you want is the information to speak for you.
Medical conditions, allergens (medicines can contain them) and contact information.

Dd has a basic stainless steel bracelet (MedicAlert) and it doesn't tarnish.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm 

I just called the Ambulance non emergency line. She said a paramedic MAY look at a bracelette with out a logo. I guess may is not o.k. She also said it should have more than epi-pen written on it as they should know what the allergies are.
So there. Logo it is. Safety first, fashion second.
If I could get a tatoo that could be hidden in daily life but a medical person would know where to look. I guess that place would be different for everyone though. Mine could be on my tummy, no ity bity swim suit for this mama! :frightened
I may go back to look at the logo bracelett. Thanks for the input it got me digging deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:26 pm 

Paige that is unfortunate about your bracelets especially as they aren't cheap. DS has worn a medic alert bracelet since 12 months and I only needed to re-order one last year due to the drastic change in his allergies, remove 3 add some more. :freak The bracelet itself was fine, no tarnishing.
Medic alert must have some warranty, did you give them a call to see what they have to say?

Good luck finding a bracelet that works for you. As long as one is worn and is clear about why it is worn that I would think is the main thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:14 am 

I did call medic allert that is when they replated one for me. If it is over one year (if I remember correctly) then I would have to pay to have it replated. It also does not come back looking real nice. I have the one that has the black rubber band right now so it only has a clasp and the plate. the one before was one of the sterling ones. I did not go get the one I saw at the store today, it did not seem to be the right choice. I will just keep looking on and off too many other things to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am 

You could always try one of the medical necklaces. Oh, do paramedics automatically search for a necklace? I understand they do look for a bracelet.