You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:11 am 

Hi,
Just wondering if everyone out there has seen an allergist? Have often wondered if we should see one.

My DS is 5 and has had peanut allergy since 2 yrs. Reported the hives to his pediatrician and he prescribed an epipen for DS. Last year I asked for RAST testing as we thought he might also be allergic to almonds (he is not). The lab ended up testing him for all nuts and peanuts so we are certain he is allergic to peanuts. That is the extent of our allergy counseling/education/management.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Yes, you want him to be followed by an allergist. There is much research being done in the area of food allergies and peanut allergies in particular. He may outgrow his peanut alergy or some day be a candidiate for immunotherapy to help him outgrow the allergy. A GP cannot keep up with this as well as everything else.

He may also develop more allergies. An allergist who has a detailed history of your child will be best able to determine just what is going on, what is best for him and give you support in the area of education.

(It is also helpful to have an allergist's documentation stating that he has severe allergies to ABC for schools, airlines etc. :roll: )

PS-your other child needs to be seen by a pediatric respirologist for basically the same reasons! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm 

We have seen allergists for both of my children, and we are waiting to see one for DS1 for the second time (we got bumped up from June 2011 to Jan. 2011!!). He didn't show any allergies the first time, but he has since shown signs of asthma. Our ped only did a referral to an allergist after me pressing her to do it and there was no education or referal for DS1's asthma. DS2 had minor allergy signs (stuffed up, etc) but the ped suggested that allergies wouldn't show up - he was 12 months old at the time. It turns out he has a severe cat allergy (he was showing signs of asthma) and once we got rid of our cats he was 1000x better.

I recommend seeing an allergist, even if it will only give you piece of mind.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma