You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 am 

Dh took the kids out tonight and reported that most houses asked if there were allergies and pulled out special peanut free candies for them. Yay! Ds is allergic to dairy too and couldn't eat most of it anyway, but it is so great people are becoming more aware of the issue. Btw, ds was quite happy having a bag of chips and a juice box. He didn't even want the Vermont nut free chocolates that I got him.

Hope everyone else's trick or treating went well too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:13 am 

I like that people are more aware....but it drives me NUTS that they think the only 'bad' allergy is peanut! We have many life threatening allergies and honestly peanut and sesame are the easier to manage due to the wonderful mandatory labelling associated with them (in Aust sesame is mandatory labelling).
Last year we were at the childrens hospital undergoing yet another food challenge to try to determine the cause of the lip swelling episodes my son had had (20 episodes over 6 weeks)...the volunteer asked me why we were there...after explaining that he'd had ongoing lip swelling and facial swelling and that we werent sure what it was due to, she patted me on the arm and said...'well.....at least its not a peanut allergy...!!!!!!' :frightened (we didnt have that one at the time and I could have honestly slapped her!)
Good to hear people are somewhat more aware
caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:25 pm 

caz wrote:
...the volunteer asked me why we were there...after explaining that he'd had ongoing lip swelling and facial swelling and that we werent sure what it was due to, she patted me on the arm and said...'well.....at least its not a peanut allergy...!!!!!!' :frightened (we didnt have that one at the time and I could have honestly slapped her!)
Good to hear people are somewhat more aware
caz

I know exactly how you feel, I have been told that by a teacher once here. :verymad , especially after being told by the principal the old "Don't worry, we know all about it" speech. I'm so glad I always went & spoke to teachers personally.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:53 pm 

Yes, I agree that it is frustrating that peanuts get all the attention, but to be fair, it is the one that causes the most deaths and serious reactions, the last I heard? Also, when people shop for candy, there is a lot of peanut free stuff, but no prominent labelling for other allergens.

We can only hope that the increased awareness spreads to the other allergens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm 

:huggy It is all about awareness and education. I jump on any band wagon I can these days.

Unfortunatey, it does seem that it is affecting more people, but overall I think awareness is increasing, mostly due to parents. Yeah for getting people to at least talk about it.

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Several houses asked if children had allergies! :happydance
One offered a choice of playdough or chips.
I'd say dd's haul was 50% edible!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:59 am 

Yup, we got play dough, too, in fact ds was so excited he asked for two :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:17 pm 

As my kids are older 16 & 13, they are definitely on their last legs for trick or treating, but...this year they both still went.
When they get home, they go through their loot w/me & DH and trades, deals, and so forth go on. This year DD was very glad that DS had gotten at least one play doh cause she had none. It was one of her highlights again this year.

I must admit-we all had a play! but it's hers to keep. I think maybe next year, that's what I'll give out. (way too much candy anyway)

Michele

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Our local support group gave out Sillybandz at our Halloween Party! I was able to order them online 108 count for $9.99 (+tax, free shipping). The kids were thrilled! They are the big thing right now. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 am 

DD has some of them as well, we laugh when we buy them from machines, coming from Rocky Mountain House- they don't have VLT's there- VOTED OUT!! We don't think they are a good thing - our opinion.... but like to play the machines after groceries.We always win & it's something we like-I have a lot of Winnie the Pooh stuff.

Good treats for children :thumbsup even us grown up ones.

Michele