You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Twinject - Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:59 pm 

I know there was a discussion somewhere about the new Twinject auto-injector and how to administer it - but I can't find it.

I was on their web-site, and you can now order a demonstrator free of charge. I've ordered one.

I will be keeping epi-pens for my son - as long as insurance covers it. For myself - I may one day decide to get the twinject, and I want to be prepared. I want to know I can use it, before I need to depend on it.

www.twinject.ca

Make sure you go to .ca as that is the Canadian site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:10 pm 

Thanks, AnnaMarie.

Here is the direct link to the order page: http://www.twinject.ca/en/accessories.php

I ordered the free demonstrator too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 pm 

Thank you! We've just ordered our demonstrator as well. I do have one concern with Twinject (besides the syringe issue). It seems the temperature tolerances are narrower than with Epipen (sorry, my scientific background might be coming out in this comment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:17 am 

Just the other day i was at the pharmacy, asked them if they had any twinject demonstators. They did. So the pharmacist went through it with me (first time she saw it). It was very confusing at first, i must admit it doesn't seem to user friendly. I know for my reactions I would not be able to give myself the second dose. If i need to depend on others, I am sure they would be terrified, and freak out. But this is my opinion.

So if you want to see a demonstrator of it, and do not want to order one. your pharmacy should carry them.

Take Care :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:14 am 

See, I really thought it was the opposite. I never had to use my epipen but I thought that the injection process of the first dose really looked a lot easier than with the epipen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 am 

I received my free Twinject demonstrator yesterday and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The instructions are very straight forward and there really isn't a lot of room for error. Not a lot of difference between the Epi Pen and Twinject for the first dose. Having said that, there are more steps involved when administering the second dose -- and a little more (not much) thought required than simply administering a second Epi Pen. Because my son is home with me still, I feel comfortable having the Twinject on hand -- but I must say, that I might be a little less confident in someone else's ability to follow all of the required steps in administering the second dose in my absense -- so, come school time, I might return to the Epi Pen. I just don't think that others (who don't live with allergies every day) will be able to administer the second dose confidently and without error in an emergency situation. When myself or my husband aren't with him, we want the easiest method possible available to his caregivers. I don't know, maybe I'm not giving others enough credit - ?? And who knows, my thoughts on this might change after having the Twinject on hand for a while. (Needless to say, the cost of two doses of epinephrine via Twinject vs. the Epi Pen, is definitely a major selling feature for me!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:07 am 

ethansmom, I spoke to my son's school principal about this back in September. I just wanted to let her know that at some point, a student would be bringing a twinject in. I wanted her to have an opportunity to look into it before one is handed in. We discussed it, and she said the school would NOT administer the second dose. However, since the school is in the midst of a major city, the ambulance should be there by the time a second dose is required anyway.

Also, at this school, students are to have an epi *on their person* as well as one in the school office (in case one day they forget to bring it, or it misfires, whatever). So, there will still be two shots available anyway.

However, I'm sticking with the epi-pen for him because it is what his school staff is comfortable with. Undecided for myself. If our insurance decides they are only covering one, I'll go with the one that is covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:15 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
However, I'm sticking with the epi-pen for him because it is what his school staff is comfortable with.

I agree AnnaMarie, that's what's important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:49 am 

Hi,

I have the epi-pen for my older son (7) and I ordered the twinject for my younger son (4) only because he is usually with me. For when he is in pre-school I will have the epi-pen for him as well.

The twinject is new and not many people know how to use it. I also think that it could be too confusing in an emergency. Our school and district nurse had never heard of the twinject.

Not sure if you have noticed but there are a few items that disturb me in regards to the twinject.

1)The jr. twinject has the same dosage amount in both 1st and 2nd injection however the adult version is different the 1st dosage is the full amount the 2nd dosage is 1/2 the amount.
    2)I think it may confuse many people that on the epi-pen you remove the gray cap and on the twinject you jab the grey end into the thigh. (easily fixed -change the color of one of the caps)
    3)You are also using the same needle for both injections. (how safe is it if it has been placed on the ground etc. for the next 10 min. )
    4)The second injection is manual not automatic like the 1st injection.

I have called twinject and told them of my concerns.

When I spoke to a friend in regards to the needle issue she made the suggestion of why not make it like a diabetes needle where you just turn and the second needle pops out. I personally haven't seen this but it sounds better.

Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 pm 

My daughter carries one Epi-pen, there's a backup at home, at school and at her dance studio. My concerns are 1) should she carry 2 Epi-pens and 2) would you administer a second shot regardless whether or not the symptoms are subsiding, if emergency help has not arrived yet?

And is the protocol 10 minutes to administer the 2nd shot or 10 to 20 minutes?

Also, FYI, I am from Halton and in the new protocol for schools and at the meeting for the protocol, we were told that the schools would NOT be administering the second twinject needle, only the first one. It would be a good idea to check your school to see what their policy is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:24 pm 

Nicole,

How I would decide this is depending how far away the hospital is. In town there are hospitals near by when he is at school there is a back up in the office. I also keep one in his hockey bag. So I think just one is fine. (both my sons are ana so I can always use the other as well) But if we were going on a hike I would probably carry two or more it may take longer for the paramedics to locate us the distance from dispatch/hospital etc.

As for the second injection you should be on the line with 911 they should keep you on line till help arrives and should be asking questions about their condition and wether or not you need to administer or when.

Our school did not have a policy. So they are presently working on one. Our district nurse saw the twinject when I provided the demo to the school. ( therefore my son carries the epi-pen)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:11 pm 

Nicole, I wouldn't be giving a second shot unless the first was wearing off. I'm not a doctor - just a person dealing with life threatening allergies - but that was the instruction I was given by a doctor. I think it's also what the makers of both twinject and epi-pen advise. I also agree that you stay on the phone will 9-1-1 and they will be asking you questions and telling you if you should be giving second shot.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:21 pm 

Thank you AnnaMarie and Sil, that's one thing I wasn't sure of. I think the paramedics could get here pretty fast here in Burlington and the hospital is about 20 minutes away (that's with a regular person driving, but the ambulance can probably get there faster). I imagine they would have epinephrines in the ambulance as well.

But it's a good tip to take 2 epipens on a hike, I have so much to learn still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:04 pm 

Nicole,

You may want to check with your local hospital or ambulance centre to verify if they do carry additional epi-pens. I know in B.C. not all ambulances carry epi-pens. when we call 911 we must let dispatch know right away that they are in ana-shock so that they send one with the ambulance. When the ambulance attendants arrive you can no longer administer any of your own epi-pens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:38 pm 

Nicole, is Burlington part of Halton region? Here is their EMS web-site:

www.halton.ca/health/programs/Ambulance/Default.htm

If you look around the site you should find a number or e-mail address to contact them. I'm also going to pm you.

A few years ago I contacted Toronto EMS to find out about epinephrine and here's what I found out: All ambulances carry epinephrine and all paramedics are qualified to administer it in the case of anaphylaxis. I always try to be very specific in my questioning. :)

They do not carry epi-pens - they use regular needles.