You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:21 am 

I always make my kids carry two Epi-pens when they are at a distance from a hospital. I know they say one every 15-20 minutes and as someone said, I guess that depends on how severe the reaction, but I'm always concerned that in a city, you hope help arrives soon but Murphy's Law being what it is and living in "Construction City" I tend to wonder "what if" - again, better safe than sorry. When we go out as a family, four of us are carrying Epi-pens already so we have lots. But when they go alone - its two. My daughter is away and is currently carrying three. The twin jet looks good but I don't want to fiddle with a needle injection during a stressful moment, nor trust that to someone unfamiliar with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:28 pm 

Thank you AnnaMarie and Sil. :D I will check the ambulance link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:23 pm 

I found this quote on the Twinject website and wondered if any of you know what it means that Twinject is, "now covered by the provincial formularies in Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Alberta..."
Quote:
Is Twinject reimbursed by public and private plans?

Update! Twinject is now covered by the provincial formularies in Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Alberta, as well most private insurance plans. Since Twinject has recently been approved for use in Canada, it will probably be listed on the remainder of the provincial formularies in the next few months. We will continue to provide updates as the process progresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:34 pm 

Some people with low incomes have provincial plans that cover prescriptions. That would be a provincial formulary.

I see some private companies are also covering it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:17 pm 

Our private insurance company covers it - Great West.

Glad to see that those who have access to provincial plans also have access to it now.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:06 am 

I just hope my insurance company doesn't decide to stop covering the epi-pen. Many years ago they refused to cover the epi-pen because the AnaKit was a lot cheaper and had two doses. They only started covering the epi-pen when the AnaKit was taken off the market.

I wouldn't object to carrying the twinject myself, but every staff member at my son's school has been trained on epi-pen for years. They may be similar -- but they are not exactly the same, and I don't want them not remembering how to use the twinject if that's what he has. And I'd still have to buy him two -- one to carry and one for the office. The school will NOT give the second (manual) shot from the twinject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:49 pm 

Twinject is offering a free allergy alert bracelet on your next Twinject purchase (One item per customer, while quantities last. Offer expires October 2007 - 4-6 weeks for delivery).
Not sure when the offer began, so those who recently purchased might qualify...
Men -- sterling silver chain
Women -- white fiber optic and silver beads
Boys -- red cotton braid
Girls -- colour changing mood bead
(They look pretty nice...)
The offer came in a brochure that was mailed -- you have to fill out the form card with complete information in order to qualify.
I tried to find out more info. on their website but didn't see any details. For those that are interested, might be worth firing off an email to them to inquire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:43 pm 

I received an offer for a carrying case with purchase.

Personally, I'd like that mood bead one for myself. (I'm just a big kid at heart :lol: )

I wonder if they'll start selling them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:31 pm 

I missed out and would also be interested...I got WSIB to cover mine with a bit of a discussion and then looking st the direct cost savings they approved it!