You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm 

I'm considering having the air ducts cleaned in my weekend home because I notice my allergies getting significantly worse after I spend time in the house. In my main residence, I have radiator heat and window units for A/C and in my weekend home, I have gas-forced heat/air (I also have carpeting and I am considering having the carpet replaced with new carpet that is less dense/plush). I am allergic to household allergens like dust, dust mites, feathers, etc. Has anyone had their air ducts cleaned? How were the results? Notice an improvement or was it a waste of money?

Any input would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 am 

It worked for us with the cat allergies, it was actually recommended by our allergist to do on a regular basis. We also installed a hospital grade filter system that did wonders, our allergist said that this was not necessary. Hepa is supposed to be the way to go as long as your furnace does not run 24/7.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm 

Yes I would recommend it. I have done it on 2 homes but do not let them fog your vents. According to CHMC Canadian Home and Mortgage Corporation it is not advisable for them to spray the botanicals in your vents - they can cause more problems to your health. Phone several of them and ask how they do it. There should be 2 people, they shouldn't use a vacuum - it should be hooked up to a truck outside. A large hose from you furnace out to their truck and then they blow air from all return vents and heating vents through. After you need to keep your filters changed regularly (I change mine once a month) and I also have an Americare by-pass air purifier that I vacuum out every month. Works great and I have the funace maintained and cleaned every year along with being diligent cleaning the house. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 pm 

One other thing. If you carpets are fine, keep them just get one of those portable carpet cleaners and do a quick clean with water and a mild cleaner like Seventh Generation or vinegar and baking soda. You can't use vinegar on olefin. I am opposed to heavy cleaners and new carpeting because of the toxins they emit. We did have new low VOC carpet installed on our stairs - quite expensive and also had it cleaned and ozoned along with sitting in the garage for months to off gas before installed. They also carry no and low VOC underpads as they can be quite toxic expecially as they get older and start to break down. If you really need a change and can afford it get hardwood and make sure it is from North America and low VOC.