You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm 

I would love to hear any positive experiences you are aware of in finding allergy aware accommodation in University Residence.
The ideal situation I think would be a private room with a kitchen. These are scarce.

Here are the barriers I am facing as we look for a transfer situation for my daughter. This year she is at home and attending the local university.

-only first year students are guaranteed residence accommodation.

-returning students and transfer students are put in a lottery system which means they may or may not get any room. We won't know until July.

-accommodation may be a single room in a large residence with no cooking allowed in your room, an apartment or a quad. The quad may put you in with other allergic students if you even get a room but they may have other allergies.

I would love to see a survey included in the yearly Maclean's rating of universities that shows how well allergies are accommodated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:58 pm 

I worked in the residence system when I went through university and I know that there can be exceptions made when there are special circumstances. In your daughter's case, allergies should be seen as a disability needing special accommodations. You should contact the residence life office and speak to an administrator to discuss the options available.

15 years ago when I worked as a don in residence, we were required to have first aid training and we received a great deal of training to support our students (conflict mediation, crisis intervention, etc). We also had to be in our 4th year of university or a grad student. The ratio of dons per student was about 40 to 1. Find out about the supports in place in the residence system where your daughter will be attending.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:51 am 

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been contacting administrators. This year the lottery system is being introduced. I am told that because she is entering her second year and not coming directly from high school she must first be selected from the lottery. If she gets selected that way then whatever rooms are left will be considered. In the past the process considered first come first serve.
I have been told that the lottery system must be successfully navigated before her special circumstances would be taken into account.
That makes it more difficult.