You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:39 pm 

A friend of mine has developed allergy problems and we need to find her good doctor to take care of her.

In short, she got a bad reaction at work in the summer (she works with different metals, furnaces, wears gloves and stuff) was off work for a few weeks and tried going back using vinyl gloves and reacted again, and hasnt been able to work since. She saw an allergist in Barrie which she thought was useless...Finally the appointment came to see a dermatologist at St. Michaels Hospital (which I went with her) and the doctor wasnt very nice (rather mean actually). Did do some patch testing but nothing showed. And the doctor basically said that she's allergic to nothing (and was like mad at us). But she knows she's still allergic to stuff and has to be ultra careful. At one time it sounds like she was allergic to pretty much anything. So needless to say she's pretty upset with this experience.

Who's a good allergist/immunologist she should see (and preferrably kind too!)? We are in midwestern Ontario (Hanover) but realize we will need to travel to get good treatment. Places like GTA, Hamilton, Kitchener, London are a similiar drive.

Any other suggestions??
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

No suggestions as I am too far away to be of any help with the dr.s however, I would suggest that she try non-powdered gloves first and then blue nitril gloves. Many people have issues with the powder that is placed inside many gloves to increase the ease of putting on and taking off the gloves.

The nitril gloves are not latex. Has she tried them?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am 

Im not sure everything She's tried, just that She tried going back to work using vinyl. But there seems to be more to things. She has commented/wondered about the others using latex gloves and the powder being around in the air and them 'snapping' on their gloves, etc. She also really thinks that she may have a problem with the metal(s) at work like tungsten. She really wanted them to test for tungsten but they wouldnt (didnt have it on their panel).

But She's also had trouble with a lot of things. Had to get rid of a lot of her clothes and furniture. Not sure what shoes and stuff to buy. Makeup, hairspray, etc reacts. The thing is She doesnt really know what she's allergic to, and was really looking forward to finding out so she can know what to do. She hasnt been able to get any shoes or clothes, afraid she's going to react to them. So the biggest thing right now is finding out what IS going on, then she can deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Admin

She may have to start an allergy diary to describe her symptoms, date, location, what she ate, touched etc.
Sometimes when your allergy cup is full to the brim, you can seem allergic to everything. Once she figures out what the main allergens are, she may be better able to cope with the lesser allergens/triggers.
Are the symptoms mainy respiratory, dermatological, digestive or cardiac?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb