Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 am 

http://www.asthmaallergieschildren.com/ ... ian-voice/
Quote:
In addition to excellent legislation, what we’ve also done right in Canada is to adopt precautions to protect peanut and tree nut allergic children everywhere they go. Since schools have excellent policies in place, so do many summer camps, restaurants, and children’s sports organizations. It becomes normal to consider the safety of a snack sent along for the soccer team to enjoy and to see a notice from the team coach advising of teammates’ allergies. You can’t get to this level of compliance and tolerance introducing allergy policies in classrooms on a case-by-case basis.

What!!!! Ok people....In Canada, out health and education is by and large handled on a provincial level....
This article comes from a very Ontario perspective...

and another thing....could we focus a little more on awareness in an overall fashion and not just peanut butter....... :banghead

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am 

re read my post after I hit submit.....and want to add, I do like this part

Quote:
You can’t get to this level of compliance and tolerance introducing allergy policies in classrooms on a case-by-case basis.

We do need some direction, especially here in Alberta.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:58 pm 

This is bugging the you know what out of me....Canada, Canada....but it says right up front....
asthma allergy website
Quote:
(Note: This guest editorial does not express the opinions of the authors of Asthma Allergies Children: a parent’s guide or the founders of this website. We welcome a variety of opinions on different issues that confront parents, patients, medical practitioners, and others with a stake in the health of our kids.)

This is an opinion from ONTARIO
Quote:
As many of my readers know, I live in Ontario, Canada, which I believe is the heart of food allergy and anaphylaxis safety protocols for Canada and the rest of the world.

and then I read farther.....and get even more bugged.....I see there is a place for my opinions...I should let them know about this website.....I notice it's not on the list....we could chat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:28 pm 

I love this at their school.....it is a far cry from what we have here...

Ontario http://www.tvdsb.ca/files/filesystem/po ... health.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 am 

It is a total (and common) misconception that there are excellent plans in place. Mentioning schools, restaurants and sports teams as 'leaders in awareness' is simply not true. They are (in my experience) the WORST places for allergy issues, EVEN for peanut allergies. I don't feel like my DS is protected at all.

"People no longer bring peanut butter sandwiches to school or Snickers bars, or anything else that clearly contains nuts."

This is a COMPLETELY FALSE statement, unless she is talking about her school or district (and even at peanut free schools I KNOW the occasional sandwich gets through..).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:34 pm 

...and this is what gets said out and about....
http://www.thetowntalk.com/comments/art ... t-liabilty
Quote:
I am impressed by the Canadians as respect to food allergy management in schools. They have enacted federal law that mandates minimum guidelines for the management of food allergic children.
Canadian federal law?? :banghead I wish that people would get the fact that Ontario is the only province that has Sabrina's Law...other provincial governments (such as Alberta) have nothing but that "safe and caring" bit in the old school act...still waiting for the new school act....but the pc's have stated that here in Alberta "it's all covered" because it says so. :roll:

Here is the article that this comment was referring to
http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/2011 ... /104240315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 pm 

Quote:
Mentioning schools, restaurants and sports teams as 'leaders in awareness' is simply not true. They are (in my experience) the WORST places for allergy issues, EVEN for peanut allergies.

True true true! Sports teams ironically are really bad...we put our kids in to encourage good health and every game, gathering, practice seems to involve junkie snacks!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:26 am 

...here's another one http://www.allergicchild.com/legislation.htm

Quote:
Canadian Food Allergy Legislation – Sabrina’s Law

In Ontario, Canada, Bill 3, Sabrina’s Law, was passed in May 2005. The bill, which will ensure that teachers and students know what to do when someone goes into anaphylactic shock, became law Jan. 1, 2006. This bill was named after Sabrina Shannon, a 13 year old girl, who died at school after eating french fries that were contaminated with a dairy product.

More information on this bill and this tragic story can be found at:

Description URL
Ontario passes law for severely allergic kids http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/
story/CTVNews/1116268970867_
111678170/?hub=Health

I think it is a great thing, 'Sabrina's Law', but I don't like when people take it for granted that it is a 'Canadian Law'.....and I feel that this leads people to believe so.....very scary.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 am 

http://www.allergicchild.com/contact_usform.php
hmmmm.....maybe I should contact them.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Absolutely! When you see something wrong, point it out to them. If they are worth reading, they should care about providing accurate information.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 am 

Well, I think I sent it. I'm not sure about e-mail yet. :roll: Here's what I said.
Quote:
Hi, I am an active member of an on line allergy community in Alberta, Canada and am concerned when I read inaccurate information and feel that your website may be sending that message. This is where I have chatted about it. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6614 Maybe things could be improved if all the info is correct. Please feel free to contact me by email or chat on line. I'm alberta advocate.

I am an active member of an on line allergy community in Alberta, Canada I guess I should have worded this differently. I am an active Alberta member of an on line allergy community in Canada and the U.S. now....would have been better. so much to learn. :|

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy I means a lot that you even sent it!
I say,:
1. (Pat them) I am a regular subscriber of your magazine...

2. (Poke them) I am a mother of a child with severe (anaphylaxis) allergies to many foods including ---
After reading your article --- , am quite concerned about the inacuracies in contained. (quotes are good). Back yourself up with facts usually from http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pages/default.asp - quote fact and give the website.

3. (Pat them) Something like how they are considered an authority on allergies or that they have a large readership etc tell them that you are concerned that the general population will beleive what they read and how this sets us back in trying to improve awareness etc.

4. (Tell them what you want) Could the write a retraction? Suggest another article or someone whom they might interview etc.

5. (Invite feedback) I let them know that I am the moderator of Allergic Living Magazines website forum and that I am happy to share any comment they might have with the comunity. :popcorn

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 pm 

Really Susan, I am so past the patting thing. For years I tried to get any kind of help from a lot of people and am just really tired of it all. Being ignored by a school superintentant when there are huuuuge problems....and then after I started digging in the paperwork....well, I've discovered that when it comes to most things (especially administration and government) poking gets the most action. Thanks for the tips though and I'll think about it. :huggy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 pm 

More things I don't like....the use or the word allergy of a form of it that has nothing to do with what they are talking about

http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2 ... okman_blog
Quote:
Why voucher advocate are allergic to standardized tests?

and here's one from Alberta.
http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/Lo ... ID=1417715
Quote:
"There is a portion of the population that has an allergic reaction to the word Liberal. So we're handing out lots of antihistamines before the next election so that allergic reaction is diminished," explained Swann.
That's the leader of the alberta liberal party talking and he's a doctor. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Used to be the term "knee-jerk reaction" :roll: Why the change?