You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:09 pm 

My husband came home yesterday and said that he had heard on the radio that a Toronto City Councillor put forth a motion to make all public buildings in Toronto peanut free. Apparently they were speaking about the danger of peanut butter/peanuts in public places and the risk to others due to how small an amount of peanut is needed to induce an allergic reaction in peanut allergic individuals. I wasn't able to find the supporting story on-line. Has anyone else heard about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:34 pm 

I previously posted this link in media

http://www.insidetoronto.com/to/northy/ ... 3496c.html

The councillor is looking to ban the sale of peanuts (including vending machines) on city property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 pm 

Thanks AnnaMarie -- I wondered how the city would try to go about imposing such a ban....it didn't seem quite right. The story itself is definitely encouraging for all allergic individuals....it just brings more attention to "the cause" :wink: - peanut allergic or otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 pm 

There was an editorial in that paper this week, and it appears it's already been defeated. (that was fast) I've been searching the site and can't find it there.

I wasn't impressed with the editorial - whoever wrote it didn't seem to understand what Shiner was actually trying to do.

Quote:
A city councillor's request to have nuts banned from all city snack bars and vending machines is well-meaning. Considering the leaning of our current city administration, it's surprising they did not take him up on his proposal, but rather chose to work with contracted vendors to voluntarily remove loose nut products and promote nut-free options.

The last paragraph is really irritating.

Quote:
We'd assume a child buying products there is being supervised by a parent. We would also expect that anyone who suffers fro food allergies to have been well educated in terms of what he or she can or cannot eat.

This guy totally missed the point of what Shiner was trying to do. Lower the risk of peanut residue being left all over city buildings (which includes rec centres etc.)

I'm thinking if this were raised at city hall near when the vendors permits were due to expire it might stand a better chance of passing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:18 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
This guy totally missed the point of what Shiner was trying to do. Lower the risk of peanut residue being left all over city buildings (which includes rec centres etc.)

How could his point be missed so completely - it's so frustrating... :x