You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "The Doctors"
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm 

Preview for tomorrows (Thurs 26 May) The Doctors says "treatment for nut allergies" in case anyone is interested.

Post subject: Re: "The Doctors"
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 pm 

In our listing it says "allergies to nuts among children". I'll tape it out of curiousity.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 pm 

I watched today, and they did talk about peanut therapy, and only peanut. A good job was done stressing that this was not a cure, but is helpful in case of an accidental ingestion. They said how peanut allergies seem to be on the rise.

At the very end of the show they brought it up again and asked that people would put themselves in other peoples shoes (so to speak) and not to get p**d off (so to speak) if asked by an "allergy mom" or adult with a nut allergy not to open that bag of nuts, :roll: It was nice that they mentioned it, but really, why does it have to be up to us "allergy moms" or adult with the allergy.... :roll: sometimes it is really hard to deal with ignorance and uncaring.

Has anyone figured out how "nuts" came to be the popular snack on airplanes? What's the deal with that anyway?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:11 pm 

I watched it as well and I was impressed that the Doctors stressed that the child would still be allergic but it would help in the accidental ingestion of a peanut. What I wasn't impressed with is that they only talked about peanuts. What about other allergies. I know many people (myself included until I found this forum) do not realize that other foods can cause severe reactions. I think they should have at least mentioned that other foods can cause these reactions and perhaps asked the doctor if they were considering the same treatment for other allergens.
I like the end where he asked everyone to be considerate of peanut allergies and the requests of the allergy mom.
I still think they should have at least mentioned other allergens.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm 

Oh, look what I did.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/tell_us_section_head
Quote:
Not a question, but a place to go to learn more, and read what we say about your show regarding yesterday when you talked about peanut allergy therapy (plus a lot of other things allergy related). I am a Canadian mom that has learned a lot about allergies in the past 17 years. It all started when we discovered my daughter, 17 now,was allergic to eggs. Only in the last little while I have become very vocal as an advocate here in Alberta as I as very concerned about how little is known by the general public about the seriousness of allergies.
I have watched carefully over the last year or so how this has been handled in the school systems and am trying to make a change. Thank you for your attention to this life threatening condition.....I loved that thing you did with Trace Atkins and would love to see a whole show on the topic. In Canada there is a great magazine called Allergic Living. I learned to chat last year and am so thankful that now when a family is surprised with this scary new "club" that you belong to, there is a place to go to connect with other families. The Allergic Living Forum has been going on since about 2005 and has mostly all the questions that people will need answered.
:damnedcomputer I think it went...still not too good at this.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 am 

alberta advocate wrote:

At the very end of the show they brought it up again and asked that people would put themselves in other peoples shoes (so to speak) and not to get p**d off (so to speak) if asked by an "allergy mom" or adult with a nut allergy not to open that bag of nuts, :roll: It was nice that they mentioned it, but really, why does it have to be up to us "allergy moms" or adult with the allergy.... :roll: sometimes it is really hard to deal with ignorance and uncaring.

Has anyone figured out how "nuts" came to be the popular snack on airplanes? What's the deal with that anyway?

I don't understand your first question here. If we don't ask, how oils a person know we are dealing with an allergy? Or what the allergy is to?

As for the popularity....I'm guessing, cheap, healthy, and not full of sugar. Also, likely sold to airplanes really really cheap to get people to start wanting to buy the small packages of shelled peanuts/nuts. may have even been donated at first....just long enough for people to rely on getting them.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:07 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
alberta advocate wrote:

I don't understand your first question here. If we don't ask, how oils a person know we are dealing with an allergy? Or what the allergy is to?

I don't feel it should reallly be up to one traveller to "ask" another.....if it needs to be said, a person should be able to ask a flight attendant to ask because some people just don't get it at all and some people are very rude. If it were a question regarding a non-life threatening issue, I would feel differently, but when things are serious, such as something like this, and considering how many people out there don't get it I think maybe a person could use a little help in asking and much like a principal would "ask" in a school classroom, maybe it could be handled on a plane in the same fashion. There are a lot of different kinds of people on an airplane....and some are just not that approachable.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am 

Ok, now I understand what you mean. personally, I always worry about weirdos. Safer (IMO) if total strangers do not know who the person with the allergy is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm 

I noticed today (june 7) in the tv guide it says The Doctors will be debunking allergy myths. I'm not sure if this is a repeat but I'm going to watch just in case.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm 

Quote:
As for the popularity....I'm guessing, cheap, healthy, and not full of sugar. Also, likely sold to airplanes really really cheap to get people to start wanting to buy the small packages of shelled peanuts/nuts. may have even been donated at first....just long enough for people to rely on getting them.

I am the first to admit that before DS came along introducing us to the allergy world I would almost always pack a zip lock bag of almonds,sunflower seeds or peanuts and raisins along for DD and myself. They were a quick, filling, healthy snack which held up well in a bag. Of course this is also before the huge influx of allergies as DD is 12 now. I would like to think that even without DS's allergies I would be aware enough not to pack nuts/peanuts any longer along as a snack. Although I do know if someone mentioned to me that their child was allergic I would have put them away, apologized and had dd wash up asap. Trace however I have to admit I never would have understood or comprehended not being an allergy mom at the time. So to all those dealing with allergies before I did....I really am sorry!!!!

I agree Alberta. Having an authority figure 'ask' is always easier as it hopefully is less confrontational.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish