Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Strawberries and kiwi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 pm 

Hi,

I was just informed to avoid feeding my peanut/nut allergic son's strawberries and kiwi because they contain the same ingredient that anaphylaxis creates in the body.
Is this correct?
Has anyone else heard this?

This comes from a very reliable friend who's son also has severe allergies and has made many changes in the allergy world.
I was aware that of the fruits these are the most likely ones that people are allergic to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:09 pm 

well, strawberries contain histamine as do a lot of other fruits, wine, tea, fermented milk products, a lot of processed foods........there's a long list, actually!

I've heard that some people with chronic hives or who have sensitivites to foods (like migraines) might want to look into going on a histamine-restricted diet to see if it helps. But I don't think that it is necessary unless there are symptoms (histamine occurs naturally in the body...but it is what causes hives and some people are sensitive to too much histamine. I think it is possible for people to get hives from eating strawberries and it might not be an allergic reaction---i.e. it works the same way as dermographism (if I scratch the surface of my skin, it hives up because histamine is released---that isn't an allergic reaction but physiologically it is the same as one)).

so anyways, the short answer is, yes, some people with allergies might need to avoid or minimize histamine-rich foods, but generally people with food allergies don't need to worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:13 am 

Thanks Lisa.

Just when I think I know it all I swear I learn something new!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:09 pm 

I got all this info. from Dr. Janice Vickerstaff Joneja's book called _Dealing with Food Allergies_ (she deals with food sensitivities as well as allergies)