You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: McMasters University
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:14 am 

I was chatting today with an allergy aunt who's niece goes to McMaster University. What I was surprised to learn is that there is specific residence just for anaphylactic students where her niece does live. Do all universities do this, I'm happy for all those university age young adults to have this option!!!! :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: McMasters University
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am 

Well, I never would have thought that. This is so great.
McMaster, that is Toronto? I wonder how soon a person would have to look into that?...you know, learning your way around websites is a job on its own. Not that mine wants to go anywhere...it's a good thing we got her first. She likes home.

Look what I found. http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... d-college/

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am 

Wow, that's interesting! McMaster University is in Hamilton, and this is where our son's allergist practices: Dr. Susan Waserman (she is one of the two allergists appearing in Allergic Living magazine).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:37 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I was chatting today with an allergy aunt who's niece goes to McMaster University. What I was surprised to learn is that there is specific residence just for anaphylactic students where her niece does live. Do all universities do this, I'm happy for all those university age young adults to have this option!!!! :happydance

:happydance that is very exciting. I have not heard of any school doing this. I choose to live off campus for that very reason. I thought trying to find food that I can eat was too risky and I also felt the food that was served was not appealing nor healthy. I hope that all changes since the first yr away from home is very hard and students tend to gain weight due to anxiety and stress and having unhealthy choices doesn't help.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 pm 

I'm not sure how correct this statement is. They have "substance-free" wings of some residences, but the substance they are referring to is alcohol. While the application process includes the opportunity to list any allergies and ask for special accomodations, it does not indicate that any accomodations would be made - especially in a whole residence/wing! Having just gone through this last year, I assure you, accomodations for allergies is difficult, but possible if all the stars align!