You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:14 pm 

What do you think of this? A group of people with service dogs were not allowed into a restaurant. I think it's outrageous. Many of the comments cite allergies as a concern.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/27/d ... estaurant/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 am 

I have lots of experience with this. I raised a guide dog puppy for BC Guide Dogs, and for 18 months I had to take him with me everywhere. There were times after training class that we would take the dogs out with us for lunch - one time at an Earl's there were 12 of us. 12 dogs (puppies ... not even fully trained yet). Hardly anyone knew the dogs were there.

An average dog would go crazy in a restaurant due to the obsession with food, treats, etc. These dogs are trained differently. Treats are never, ever allowed. They are taught how to behave in restaurants from the time they are 8 weeks old, and are unconcerned with the food. They are trained to lay quietly under the table and usually appreciate the rest. Many times in class we would sit at tables, and the trainer would throw bits of ham and cheese onto the floor. The "Leave it" command was usually all that was needed. Sure, they were interested, but since they are not food-motivated, they don't chase after it.

The laws are different everywhere, but where I am the law provides that a guide dog (HAS to be one that is certified and trained by an approved program ... guiding for blind being the standard) must be allowed access to a public place. Should the dog prove to be misbehaving, then it is the right of the owner / manager to ask them to leave. We were never asked to leave, but we were often denied entry. The fine is up to $3000.

The allergy question is difficult to address. It came up when an autism support dog was going to start at a local school. Whose rights trump the other's? The autistic child was finally going to have a chance to have a somewhat normal school experience (belive me ... the difference the dogs make in these kids lives is unbelievable...), but some kids asthma might be triggered by the presence of the dog. I think they compromised by agreeing to the dog only being allowed in certain areas, and the child's family had to attend asthma teaching to ensure that it was being properly managed. Most kids with asthma do not take their preventer inhalers, and that is all that is required in many cases.

Here is a recent article on this:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/14/136287114/new-rules-seek-to-educate-schools-on-service-dogs

And this one made me cry, because my family "puppy-sat" Griffin on many occasions. After my puppy graduated, I missed the pups, so I would take pups from other puppy-raisers when they needed a break. We LOVED Griffin, and we are so proud of him.

http://www.richmond-news.com/Autistic+receives+love+help+from+trained/4886721/story.html

I think this scenario has ALOT in common with those of us dealing with food allergies! Some people buy fake capes over the internet so they can take their untrained dogs with them everywhere, and claim they are service dogs. I know of such a dog .. the yappiest, growliest sheltie EVER. Similar to those that claim allergies to foods to get attention. There aren't many who do it, but they do muddy the waters for those who have legitimate allergies or have legitimate service dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am 

as someone who has had bad reactions to dogs in the past, I'd like to join this discussion. I never had a true allergy to dogs, but for several years I reacted very severely being around them.

I objected to dogs in grocery stores, the laundry room, and restaurants. On the rare occasions when it was a working dog.....I never complained. as you said, they are very well behaved dogs...no jumping or sniffing at people and legally they are allowed. I did leave the laundry room because of a working dog. and I spoke with the dog owner so that we could pick different days to do our laundry. I would never have suggested she leave or not bring her dog. But, I did not want to use machines right after her, so we worked out a schedule quickly between us.

In a restaurant, I would think (hope) if an allergic person is seated, the person with the dog would be willing to wait for a table in a different section of the restaurant. But the dog definitely should be allowed in.

Schools could be much trickier. Both students have the need and the right to be there. That includes the working dog as a need for one of the students. But, in most cases It could be worked out between the parents and principal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:44 am 

Here's a school story..... http://www.stonyplainreporter.com/Artic ... chive=true

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm 

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-store ... 44255.html
Quote:
An Edmonton woman has filed a human rights complaint after her autistic nine-year-old daughter and service dog were told to leave the west-end Winners for the second time in three months.

"I don't believe that anybody should feel like a second-class citizen in any place ... and especially as a child," said Alison Ainsworth, Emily's mother.
Oh dear....that's just not right.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:55 am 

I read this story, awful. I think this girls situation is similar to allergies in the sense that to the naked eye she appears 'healthy'. Like allergies people judge on how 'normal' our kids look.
Our son reacts to most dogs also but I agree with you all, when it is a service dog they have a right to have that dog with them.
This store is a Looser more than a a Winners'.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like the autism child has a good case. But MomtoBunches raises some excellent points re asthma.

I also have reservations with using guide dogs for kids with peanut or milk allergies. I think it encourages a dependence that isn't necessarily positive for our allergic children as they learn to manage their allergies. I prefer to see them learning about labels than depending on a dog to judge what's safe for them to eat.

So as much as I'm a dog lover - I have qualms about the guide-dog approach to food allergy management.