You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Birthday party gripe:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:44 am 

Well for the first time ever we took DS to a huge indoor play center yesterday. I have always been hesitant as 1/4 of the facility is set up as an eating area for their grill (I'd been there once years ago with DD).
The website said no outdoor food allowed, I did call and they said they are peanut/tree nut free (AWARE :banghead but a :thumbsup for trying) BUT that due to the increase in multiple allergies they would allow his snack bag in. So when we arrived they gave me a OFA (outside food allowed) bright pink sign to put on my snack bag so staff wouldn't keep asking me about the food. Again :thumbsup ! DS had a blast, he played for 3 1/2 hours (with his big sister) and as the place was quiet it was easy to keep an eye on him.

He had so much fun I thought what a great place for a birthday party (Sept.). I got the brochure and saw that the parties included either just cake, or food/cake. I went to the manager and asked if we would be able to bring in cupcakes for all the kids. She told me no as the cakes are peanut free (from a local bakery). I told her that as an allergy mom I greatly appreciate their efforts to control food, peanut tree nuts etc. but that many children have multiple allergies which go above and beyond peanuts/tree nuts...again, may I bring in cupcakes for the kids if we had his party there. I'd pay the same, they could keep their cake...I'd just bring in safe cupcakes for all the kids.
Answer...no. I could bring DS in his food/cupcake but the other kids would have to eat their cake!
I told her that was a shame as children with allergies have to eat their own treats/food at other kids parties, events, celebrations, all the time.....and I wouldn't have his party there if for his own birthday he had to watch the other kids eat his cake.

I get what they are trying to do but it works against so many kids they are trying to help keep safe.
The staff were super friendly, the place was clean, the environment great.....but no party there for us. I'm sure someone else would be glad to have my $$$$$$............

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:38 pm 

I'm sorry, that's awful. We had a place like that too, but they are being more lenient now and offering parties with food provided, or not (bring your own). I hope you can find something suitable. Maybe they could play at the facility, then head back to your place for cake?