You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 am 

The other night an out of town houseguest and I were talking about the epipen. After a full day of sightseeing and being "cooked" by the sun, I took out (what I thought was :oops ) the trainer and proceeded to show her how easy it was to administer. We were all surprised when it turned out to be the real thing. It didn't hurt much but I was hyper for a few hours after and I was able to show my kids how " painfree " it was! My husband thinks i'm nuts!!

boys' mom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:02 pm 

Oh my! What a surprise! Glad it wasn't necessary, be sure to get a replacement asap. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:06 pm 

Well, the upside is your demonstration was I'm sure very realistic. :? I bet you were surprised.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, you're not the first and you won't be the last!
At least you were able to show that the Epipen won't harm someone if they didn't truly need it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:08 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty funny. Great to hear it didn't hurt too much! You can share that with your kids and they will feel better knowing it isn't too painful. I was at a talk last fall with an allergist presenting, and he told the audience that he did the same thing... accidentally gave himself the real Epipen when he thought it was a demo. He had done this when he was in the middle of a presentation to a group of individuals. He was a pretty funny guy, so we all got a laugh out of an allergist making this kind of mistake... shows it can happen to anyone! He also said that he was pretty hyper for a little while afterwards.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

lol - it does happen.

At a conference two years ago I spoke with a fellow for a co. that designs auto-injectors for various drugs. Someone was speaking of accidental auto-injections and he pipes up with a story of doing the same: demonstrating on himself with a real dose instead of a trainer in a big meeting.

BUT, this was an auto-injector of antidote to nerve gas. Apparently he was fine, but almost immediately went to sleep! :oops