You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:45 pm 

I know you will understand. DS (5) came in screaming/crying that 'the bee bit me'. There were a few wasps around him and one stuck in his shirt, he had at least 2 bites. I grabbed him, and DH call the Dr and ran him to the clinic just in case. Turns out he's alright, but it was scary, moreso because of our experience with anaphylaxis. I think anyone else would have just given some tylenol and iced.

It was really frightening, I hope this hasn't sensitized him to develop an allergy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 pm 

Poor little guy! Wasps stings are bad--I remember getting stung as a kid. Give him lots of hugs and kisses :wink: glad he's all right!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Becky, I don't blame you one bit for being cautious! :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 pm 

Glad he's ok. I was concerned too, with the kids' other allergies, along with my unusual reaction to a sting a few years ago. Ds, the more adventurous of the two, who once was stung trying to pick up a wasp at age 2, has been stung about five times with only minimal local swelling. Dd hasn't been stung yet. I figure that it's a plus we'll always have epipens just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Alison's Mom wrote:
I figure that it's a plus we'll always have epipens just in case.

Yep! It's a double edged sword that we worry about new allergies but have the Epipens handy already, just in case.

I know there's a increased risk of developing allergies to foods in the same botanical family as previous allergens due to similar protein compositions. I wonder if the increased risk translates to insect venom.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am 

Becky , so glad he is ok. TOTALLY understand your panic. I swear the folks on the forum are so amazing at answering posts that if you get on a thread too late all that is left to say is ditto, ditto ditto for me.

So ditto - to what everyone else has said..... :rofl and :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:30 am 

Not fun for your little guy. Or you...

As a child I had a few food allergies (outgrew them) and was stung by 17 yellow jackets at age 9; yes, all at one time - who knew that they had nests on the ground in bushes?? I've been stung by the same type of wasp since then and definitely had lots of swelling - especially the one on my lip :oops which happened when riding a bike.

According to skin prick tests done as an adult, I'm allergic to some 'stinging insects' but not others and the level of allergy varied.

A doctor told us over 25 years ago that the location of the sting on your body also affects your reaction and that worst would be your neck. Has anyone heard that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm 

My babe was stung on the hand while playing outside with no reaction (other than excessive tears lol) thank goodness! At least wee always have the epi pen just incase. A bee allergy would be so stressful I can't imagine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:17 pm 

This is a good reminder to make sure garbage cans have good lids on them and check on their locations...(right outside the door is NOT a good place as why have a gathering place for kids and bees?)......garbage needs to be looked after promptly.

...and I so get the scary part. :huggy I remember admiring DS out the kitchen window when he was not quite two yet....he was lookin' so cute out in the garden....and then totally different face... :frightened :frightened turned out ok.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy