You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 pm 

I usually check labels EVERY time, before food even goes in the cart. But I didn't today when I picked up some Olafsens Pizza Pretzels at Costco, and let the kids have some at lunch. While they were eating I read the label, and it now has warnings for many Tree Nuts & Peanuts! :freak

I was really torn as to what to do. He had eaten 1/2 and was pretty much done, I didn't want to go all alarmist/crazy mom, so I handed out some other foods and quietly disposed of the rest.

I will tell him they are no longer safe later, which will be sad for him since he really likes them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 pm 

:huggy WHEW that your DS ate them with no reaction! Great reminder to check labels, even when I buy 3 of something I look at each package.
I really don't know if so many more warnings are due to true changes in facility/ingredients/other products made on the same lines or just legal, cover their butt mumbo jumbo. It really is disappointing when a 'safe' treat suddenly has a warning.

Hopefully you find new safe pretzels. I am sure I've seen pretzels at our grocery store peanut/tn safe...no one likes them in our home though. If I see them I'll post the brand.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 pm 

That is the worrisome part! I wonder if we were under a false sense of security before? Previously they were labelled as 'contains: milk & soy, may contain traces of sesame' or something, which made me ASSume that they were labelling for the top allergens. Maybe they weren't... :freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:15 am 

Walmart's generic brand, Great Value has on some of their packaging in the frozen food sections EVERY single major allergen known to man listed.

From Walmart:
Quote:
Out of an abundance of caution, Walmart has taken an additional step. If a manufacturing facility processes any product containing any of the major allergens, whether or not they are produced on the same production line, that information will be reflected on our Private Brand product labels.

This basically meant that I have had to not buy anything Walmart brand. Yes, cross-contamination is a concern, however, it would be awesome if they could just learn to not cross-contaminate as we poor folks could use the savings. Oh well.

However, I would commend the person I talked to concerning the Tuna (Great Value brand), as that person gave me the info that the other companies refused to tell me - all the veggies that can be contained in Tuna's Veggie broth. At that time, the list was 24 ingredients long, but now only contains 14 items.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:45 am 
Site Admin

We purchase Rold Gold pretzels and President's Choice pretzels (alphabet). Recently, we've added Wheat Thin Stix to the list-they are sweeter though.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:30 am 

Thanks Susan, we do buy the Rold Gold ones, but these were the soft doughy bread type ones with tomato sauce on top.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:56 pm 

Yeah, I did something similar a few weeks ago. I caught it right away before we even opened it and I just exchanged it at the store. It was with chicken broth. I thought I had grabbed the low sodium but I grabbed the regular which has a big "may contain" on it. We need stricter laws on "may contain" labels because it has gotten to the point where companies are just slapping it on to cover their own butts when really do not need it. It has gotten to the point where FI food selection is getting smaller and smaller. :?