You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:08 pm 

Arrggghh. He took DD skating yesterday afternoon and this morning I find out he left the whole bag, incl her two epipens in the trunk overnight. And now he's trying to say that it's not a big deal because they were in her neoprene pouch, which was in the hockey bag. . .

If it was an hour, I would be ok with it, but not overnight when it was a low of two degrees. There goes $200.

On the upside, they are the new type, and there were concerns about the orange tip coming out too forcefully and the person having to apply more force to hold the unit in the leg. I'll post back if I decide to try it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Replace them, chalk it up to an expensive lesson. It's just worth the risk.
Do you have insurance? Absolutely, try them out in an orange.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:13 pm 

On the temp. flip side I can't tell you how many times I have put my purse down on the floor of the car only to find the heat has been cooking my purse for far too long. Some times it is also getting heat from the floor. :oops :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:11 am 

We have done that twice plus one got too cold when worn on a pouch outside of the coat while at an ice rink. It is an unique way to have extra visits to the pharmacist...

(edited to correct "one lost" to "one got too cold")

Last edited by walooet on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:33 am 

Thanks. I guess after 3.5 years, this is the first time we've done this, so not too bad. Paige, thx forthe tip about the car heater!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:57 pm 

Second time last night. It was 2 degrees this morning when we left for swimmng and the backpack had been in the car since lunchtime yesterday. Arghhh. After I scrambled making dozens of calls to pharmacies the last couple weeks to get the best expiry date. . . .

How do I make sure dh doesn't do is again? I can't be responsible for the epipens when he takes the kids out. He doesn't think it's that big a deal. After all, 'it's only money'!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

It may be only money to him but if you subscribe to the adage "No Epi=No Food", then your child can't eat until a new epipen is purchased.
Can you get 2 epipen belts? One for your child and one for your husband.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 pm 

Thanks Susan. They weren't our only epipens so the deal about the kid doesn't eat until we get new ones doesn't apply. With two kids, we have 8 epipens in various locations. He has no problem with me replacing them. I just don't know how drill into his head that he has to remember EVERY time to not only bring the epipens (I usually hang around to make sure he does) but also to not leave them in the car when they come home.

He's stubborn and would never wear an epi belt. The kids wear their belts at school, but when we are going somewhere by car, we keep them in my purse or a backpack. The kids are still in 5pt harness, so can't wear the belts in the car. . . .

I just really needed to vent. He just doesn't seem to take it as seriously as I do and it's frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
I just really needed to vent. He just doesn't seem to take it as seriously as I do and it's frustrating.

For some reason, not all parents "get it" at the same time. It took my husband much longer to really grasp the food allergy seriousness.

Sometimes I think some people also treat it lightly as a coping mechanism for just how scary food allergies really are - they do what they have to but in a relaxed way because if they really think about it, it is overwhelming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 pm 

Thanks Walooet. I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about people treating it lightly as a coping mechanism. We had a disagreement about it last night, then decided this morning that he would try to be more responsible about the allergies (as well as flossing teeth, which was another bone of contention), and I would try to 'lighten up' in general, which I do need to do :oops:

Thanks for letting me vent!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Admin

I hear you and really him wearing an epipen belt was meant tongue in cheek.
I too, have noticed this interesting family dynamic. The polarity of parents in regards to how seriously they seem to take the condition. It's almost as if the more serious one is, the more casual the other is. It becomes a vicious cycle because the former would most likely lighten up a bit if they felt the former was a bit more cautious... I must look into this more and if I find anything interesting, I'll start another thread.

Does your husband have any suggestions as to how he can remember? Would a physical reminder help? What about a colourful carbiner clip attached to his keys? Something that is noticeable but doesn't necessarily mean anything to anyone else but him.

Or, you can always place a chunk of money into a fund everytime it happens and if he complains, tell him "it's only money". Eventually when he sees it adding up, he'll get over that excuse and you can tell him you're going to splurge on something frivilous to pamper yourself since he doesn't mind spending the money and he's stressing you out! :pipe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 pm 

:goodidea Need the LIKE button for Susan's post!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
It's almost as if the more serious one is, the more casual the other is. It becomes a vicious cycle because the former would most likely lighten up a bit if they felt the former was a bit more cautious

Yes! This is exactly it!