You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: is it asthma?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am 

We are fluctuating trying to determine if our son has asthma - or is it a cold and he gets coughs to start it off?

He had maybe 2 isolated coughing sessions in his young life but everything was pretty okay for years.

Now he's had two coughing sessions that go on for several days - one definitely seemed to lead into a cold (wet cough) and this one we are hovering...it's his first year at school.

Our allergist gave us the calendar to mark it over a year ..it's been basically empty but we are started to worry if we are on the allergic march...

Can anyone tell me what symptoms you found?

There is no wheezing though he has described the cough as "he coughed so hard he felt like he was going to throw up"!

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

Post subject: Re: is it asthma?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:03 pm 

As someone who suffers from asthma, I can tell you there is always wheezing with the coughs. Sometimes I cough bcause of my asthmas, but not something that last several days or that is really troublesome within the day. I just cough more than a persone without ashtma. But when I have an attack, there is wheezing or difficulty breathing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

This winter, first I, and then our son, had the same cold/flu/cough/sore throat/congestion. I don't suffer from any allergies at all, so I was a good test subject before my son's bout with the same thing set in... I had a cough that lasted about 4 weeks, and also had bouts of coughing so hard I thought I would throw up. So when our son had the same thing, if I hadn't had it first, I would likely have wondered if this was the first sign of asthma. Anyway, both of our longer terms bouts of coughing have ended. I hope the same for your son!!

Our allergist has prepared us for the "allergy march" as well, so it's good to be alerted to this so you don't ignore the signs. If you're concerned, definitely see your son's doctor! But this winter seemed to have that type of cold/flu with the long term cough following... we knew quite a few people with it. What I did for my son was elevate the head of his bed so he could sleep a little better.

I hope your son will be feeling better soon and you aren't dealing with the early stages of asthma!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Admin

The typical symptoms are the feeling of an elephant sitting on your chest and/or waking up at night with coughing fits. http://allergicliving.com/?p=5263
That being said, my daughter had poorly controlled asthma as a young child and it was very hard to tell if it was a cold or asthma. She never wheezed or complained. She didn't wake up with coughing fits .
It seemed to creep up on her. She would work up a sweat just from the effort of breathing. :(
We learned to look for retraction, the skin of her neck at her collar bones being sucked in with each breath. If you suspect his breathing is compromised, seek immediate medical attention.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb