You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm 

My daughter has just been diagnosed with an allergy to a very common chemical called Benzalkonium Chloride. She had multiple reactions to a variety of products that contains this chemical. I am struggling to find support groups or info because this is relatively rare. When she touches a product with the chemical she breaks out in hives ( ex chlorox wipes, bactine, detergants) but when the chemical enters her body ( eye drops, nasal spray) he has an anaphylactic reaction. When i research drug allergies it seems pretty clear cut to just avoid the medicatin but this chemical is in so many things its so very hard to avoid. Any one else have any experience with something like this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Stacyk,

Sorry to hear of your daughter's allergy to BAC. That is not common, and not easy. I'd heard of BAC as an allergy with eye drops and meds. and usually more in the area of contact reactions.

But your daughter's sounds more severe. I did find one case report that might interest you – the woman became sensitized and anaphylaxed: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 395.x/full

Highly recommend getting a MedicAlert bracelet (I'm sure she's carrying epinephrine), if she hasn't already got. Might want to carry a list in her purse of things that BAC might be an ingredient of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Also found an article on one severe reaction to nose drops (the brand Otrivin): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3517330/

It says of BAC:

Quote:
Benzalkonium chloride (N-alkyl-N-benzyl-N,N-dimethyl ammonium chloride) is a quaternary ammonium compound used, for instance, as a preservative agent in topical medications (eye and nose drops).

It is also used in disinfectants, medicinal gargle solutions, throat lozenges, adhesive bandages, as an algicide in swimming pools and in medicinal cosmetics; it is also used as an industrial chemical in dye synthesis and metallurgy, in agriculture and the textile industry.

Numerous cases of allergic reactions to this quaternary ammonium compound have been reported [1], also in the context of type I reactions to antiasthmatic sprays [2], eye drops [3] and ear drops [4] containing benzalkonium chloride.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 pm 

Thank you for the help! This is a good start.

Daughter (12) benzalkonium Chloride