You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:11 pm 

Has anyone found a source for a fanny pack small enough to just fit the Allerject and not too big that it consumes half a young child's body, making it difficult for them to wear at school during regular activities like PE, sitting on the carpet or in their desks or playing outside. The other challenge is finding one that fits a small waist of children, for example for children in K-5.

We found the NIKE Light Weight Slim Running Belt but they no longer seem to be available around town. Is there another brand or style that others have found that fits these needs?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Sincerely,

Michelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Many people have spoke about the SPIbelt http://www.spibelt.com/

I found a tubular shaped neoprene pencil case at Staples a few years ago and sewed it onto an old webbed belt.

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 pm 

We love the Spibelt and KozyGo (formerly KozyEpi) for so many reasons, for both the Epipen and Allerject, but I have to say, with our recent move to the Allerject for our son, we find the KozyGo has a really great design for our son (my husband and I still use the Spibelt when we need this type of carrier). You can check out kozygo.ca or spibelt.com. You can also buy the Spibelts at the Running Room (limited selection, but still available)

http://www.kozygo.ca/category_s/142.htm ... =10&page=2

You can buy the "Ject Pouch Uno" for $25, or the "Ject Pouch Duo" for $30. Our son is now older (12), so he uses the Ject Pouch Duo so he can carry 2 Allerjects.

The Ject Pouch design is great if you ONLY want to carry the Allerject. But if you want to carry the Allerject/Epipen + cell phone and maybe keys, I would go with a Spibelt.

Both Spibelt and KozyEpi have some great items. Check out both websites to see the one you prefer. You can't go wrong with either choice... we like them both. My husband and I will wear the Spibelt for when we go skiing with our son (we will each carry an Allerject/Epipen + phone, etc.), and our daughter uses the Spibelt for jogging/skiing, so it certainly has extended use for other members of the family.

Best of luck with your choice!

13 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 am 

I find the SPIbelt doesn't work so well for Allerjects. When I have two of them in the SPIbelt they stack up and move around too much to be comfortable when I am doing regular day-to-day activities, even more so when running or participating in sport. I only use SPIbelts for EpiPens (when my running attire doesn't have pockets for my Allerjects).

I use the KozyEpi (KozyGo) Ject Pouch Duo every day. I have the one with the carabiner so I can hang it off any pair of trousers I wear (because yoga bottoms don't have belt loops) and I have the waist belt too, although I made my own soft elastic waist belt to use with it because I have sensory issues with the woven belt they use. (It's a bit rough if you plan on wearing it next to bare skin.)

The Ject Duo with the puffer expansion works well too, although I find it too big for everyday wear on a carabiner. It works better on the belt and is still small enough for a child to wear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:20 am 

We use Spibelt also, and find they work OK, although I would prefer they were neoprene or a bit thicker to not develop holes so quickly. I've seen this belt at running stores which I think would work well: http://www.runningfree.com/products/Nat ... 761a51568/

I also have a couple of these: http://www.fitletic.com/ It's the single neoprene ones that I have. They don't fit my kids, but they do fit me, and if I'm out running and have to carry my phone or an allerject, this is my pouch of choice. I like the really sturdy stretchy belt that I find reduces bounce with heavier items better than Spibelt. If they made them in kid sizes, I would get these instead.

We stopped using Kozy because while the belts are adjustable, they are not stretchy, and my kids just found stretchy ones more comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:49 pm 

I just saw one advertised on Facebook yesterday for a pouch that is magnetic and fits on trousers that don't have belt loops. It's a running pouch of some kind. I'm trying to find it today but the ad is gone. Something to look up, anyway.

Edited to add:
Googled 'magnetic running belt' and it came up: http://www.therunningbuddy.com/

They said the mini would hold one Allerject, so not sure about what size for two of them, or if the magnet is strong enough to hold that much weight.

Cannot vouch for them, but it's another option to consider.

Then there's the FlipBelt: they may fit older/bigger children. Again, I haven't tried these personally (they don't come in my size), but they look promising.