You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Who here has pets?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:38 pm 

Just wondering who here shares their lives with critters (furry or other!)..We have a dog, a cat, a bunch of fish & 2 horses.

Post subject: Re: Who here has pets?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:09 pm 

We have three adult cats plus a three month old foster kitten at home right now.

I also work at the local humane society and have several critters permanently residing in my classroom: birds, rabbit, ferrets, guinea pigs, bearded dragon, and a tarantula. We have to be careful with the animal treats as some contain peanuts or nuts; we don't allow those in our classroom. Volunteers aren't allowed in the classroom any more because a few of them were feeding peanuts and almonds to our birds, which isn't allowed due to my allergy. (We found this out when one of the birds hopped up my arm and I was instantly covered in hives.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:52 pm 

I grew up with cats and dogs for most of my childhood and young adulthood and really miss having pets. I don't think I'd be able to have a cat or dog now because of my allergies (I wasn't allergic to them when I was younger). I can't even be around cats or dogs without having a reaction (even if I don't touch them) and can't hold them without breaking out in hives.

I was at my parents' place over Christmas and my allergies were horrible even though I'd taken an extra-strength Reactine before going, and cuddling their little (supposedly "hypoallergenic") Yorkie made me break out in hives. :(

There are some days I really, really miss having a cat or a dog, but I think I'd be constantly sick and miserable if I got one (plus, my current apartment doesn't allow pets). I've thought about getting a fish, but they just aren't the same!

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:24 pm 

No pets in our household. :(

My husband was already allergic to animals, so before children, we did not have pets. I grew up with first a cat, then a dog. No allergies for me. My daughter rides horses, and has no allergies, but we pretty much hose her down when she comes in the house because of all the animal allergies with the males in our household.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter has a cat! The last cat had food allergies but this one doesn't,

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 pm 

When I grew up no pets (and I had my allergies as a child) as a upper teenager I lived with a cat (but did not let her in my bedroom) since being married I have had two then one dog in the home. Dog has run of the house but not in or on any beds. I still have my allergies and my children have only tested pos for cat and dust. The may or may not get some hives and get stuffy when we go to a home with a cat.