You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

2013 was certainly a busy year with the introduction of a new auto injector, recognition of bullying being directed toward children with allergies, governments recognizing anaphylaxis and the need to stock schools, allow students to self carry etc., companies offering reduced co-pay coupons, increased exposure in commercials, movies, talk shows.

What do you think are the biggest areas that need addressing in this new year? :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:18 pm 

Besides the ongoing saga of better labelling for may contains, shared equipment, shared facility, etc.?

2013 was a really strong year for allergy awareness and progress! Unfortunately, it seems like it was a bad year for allergy deaths as well. (That could be because of how easy it is for social media to share a story.)

The biggest thing I see right now is adults with allergies having no Epi, whether because they don't have a prescription or don't think they need it, because they can smell traces of hazelnut, or know to stop eating something when they get a scratchy throat, etc. A lot of allergy focus is towards children and I think we need to do more to educate adults with allergies and provide resources for them as well. There is a HUGE difference between parent of child with allergies and adult with allergies. Many adults with allergies have trouble relating to the former and it is much more difficult to find accurate, helpful, and/or supportive information on the latter.

(This supportive forum community was great for helping me through my post-anaphylaxis PTSD, btw. Still struggling with it, but we've identified triggers and it's a lot better now.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy

I'd like to see better food allergy awareness by the food services of hospitals.

Less dependency on antihistamines as a first response to suspected anaphylaxis.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:39 pm 

I agree with spacecanada about resources for adults with allergies, most of the stuff out there is for families, parents, or kids.

I'd also like more information and resources for people who have rarer food allergies that aren't one of the top standard ones.

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes